Convert dgn to shape file ?

03-27-2013 01:31 AM
TaiBui
by
Occasional Contributor II
Hi everyone,

I am having a dgn file that include some polygon. Now I want to convert it into the shape file (.shp/.dbf file), are there anyone know this ?

PS: I can read elements (line/text/linestring) from the dgn file, but I don't know how to create an shape file and draw them (geometry) in the shape file using arcobjects (C#)

Thank you for your help !
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Santosh_Pavan_KumarNukala
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

I am having a dgn file that include some polygon. Now I want to convert it into the shape file (.shp/.dbf file), are there anyone know this ?

PS: I can read elements (line/text/linestring) from the dgn file, but I don't know how to create an shape file and draw them (geometry) in the shape file using arcobjects (C#)

Hi,
You could use Data Interoperability Tools to convert DGN into shapefile. I did convert a dgn to Geodatabase format using CadToGeodatabase class, there is also a class available to convert from DGN to shapefile as well. You could also use QuickImport , QuickExport Classes, check out the examples in the help.

Regards,
Pavan
0 Kudos
TaiBui
by
Hi,
You could use Data Interoperability Tools to convert DGN into shapefile. I did convert a dgn to Geodatabase format using CadToGeodatabase class, there is also a class available to convert from DGN to shapefile as well. You could also use QuickImport , QuickExport Classes, check out the examples in the help.

Regards,
Pavan

Thanks Pavan,

What is "Data Interoperability Tools", is it dll file ? Could you please tell more how to get and use it ?

Kind regards,

Tai
0 Kudos
Santosh_Pavan_KumarNukala
New Contributor III
Thanks Pavan,

What is "Data Interoperability Tools", is it dll file ? Could you please tell more how to get and use it ?

Kind regards,

Tai

Yes .. It comes as part of Engine Extension.. You will need to add it as ArcGIS reference from the set of libraries under Engine Extension if you have bought license for that. In case you did not buy that extension, try using classes in ESRI.ArcGIS.ConversionTools provided in help. the answer might not please you but thats is all i can say .. 🙂
0 Kudos
TaiBui
by
Yes .. It comes as part of Engine Extension.. You will need to add it as ArcGIS reference from the set of libraries under Engine Extension if you have bought license for that. In case you did not buy that extension, try using classes in ESRI.ArcGIS.ConversionTools provided in help. the answer might not please you but thats is all i can say .. 🙂

Yes. Thank you
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
It's really, really easy.

Instead of reading the elements from the DGN directly, simply use geoprocessing tools such as CopyFeatures and FeatureClass to FeatureClass.  These tools can accept the DGN Polygon feature class as input and then output a SHP file for you.  You can access the geoprocessor directly from C# using ArcObjects.

Hi everyone,

0 Kudos
TaiBui
by
It's really, really easy.

Instead of reading the elements from the DGN directly, simply use geoprocessing tools such as CopyFeatures and FeatureClass to FeatureClass.  These tools can accept the DGN Polygon feature class as input and then output a SHP file for you.  You can access the geoprocessor directly from C# using ArcObjects.

Really ? Thank you.

I will try it, do you have any sample code ?

Thank you very much !
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
I probably have one somewhere, but I'm away from my office right now.  This help topic should get you started on how to run a geoprocessing tool from ArcObjects.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//0001000003rr000000

The only trick is to remember that The DGN file is a feature data set and that you want the polygon feature class within that data set.

Really ? Thank you.

I will try it, do you have any sample code ?

Thank you very much !
0 Kudos
TaiBui
by
I probably have one somewhere, but I'm away from my office right now.  This help topic should get you started on how to run a geoprocessing tool from ArcObjects.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//0001000003rr000000

The only trick is to remember that The DGN file is a feature data set and that you want the polygon feature class within that data set.

Thank you, I will try it. If it is possible, when you come back, could you please send to me your sample code at the email: buichitai@gmail.com. It is very useful for me because I haven't known about geoprocessing yet.

Kind regards,

Tai
0 Kudos
SamLiyotr
New Contributor
formatconversion.biz is a also website that allows you to convert dgn file to shape file easily . just go on http://formatconversion.biz/dgn-conversion.html
0 Kudos