arcview license and development?

08-24-2011 07:14 AM
DavidRobbins
New Contributor
i have an arcview single use license for my desktop development machine.  this was adequate years ago for handling raster datasets and extracting data from them.  i have just installed 10.0 and am trying to go through some of the sdk examples and run into license problems.  for instance if i try to use the MyDynamicDisplayApp2010 it won't initialize saying i don't have a license for the mapcontrol.  is there a breakdown somewhere of which license lets you use which controls/classes??  and one that tells you which examples you might be able to use with which license without having to open each one and see if it works?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
MapControl has been somewhat of a bone of contention in my organization too.  From what I have been told by ESRI at 9.3.1 the licensing agreement changed in regards to mapcontrol but it is only enforced from 10.0 onwards.  Basically you need an Engine SDK license to do any sort of development with ESRI controls including the mapcontrol.  That, even if the mapcontrol is deployed inside ArcMap as in a dockable window.  This in my opinion is something that was taken away since ESRI had a map control as part of desktop going all the way to 8.1 or 8.0 (I can't remember which.)  So the use of map controls far predates Engine and Engine licenses existence.  So if you really need a mapcontrol in your development, you need an Engine SDK license on top of your ArcView license (we need it on top of our 23 ArcInfos, Spatial Analysts, ArcGIS Server, etc. and that not only for developers but also for automated nightly build servers and other virtual machines that compile and run automated tests.
0 Kudos
JeffSahol
New Contributor
Is this still the case (you need the Engine license to do development with the mapcontrol) as of ArcGIS 10.1?

MapControl has been somewhat of a bone of contention in my organization too.  From what I have been told by ESRI at 9.3.1 the licensing agreement changed in regards to mapcontrol but it is only enforced from 10.0 onwards.  Basically you need an Engine SDK license to do any sort of development with ESRI controls including the mapcontrol.  That, even if the mapcontrol is deployed inside ArcMap as in a dockable window.  This in my opinion is something that was taken away since ESRI had a map control as part of desktop going all the way to 8.1 or 8.0 (I can't remember which.)  So the use of map controls far predates Engine and Engine licenses existence.  So if you really need a mapcontrol in your development, you need an Engine SDK license on top of your ArcView license (we need it on top of our 23 ArcInfos, Spatial Analysts, ArcGIS Server, etc. and that not only for developers but also for automated nightly build servers and other virtual machines that compile and run automated tests.
0 Kudos