ArcObjectsNet on Win x64

Jump to solution
04-24-2014 12:32 PM
sbrockwell
New Contributor
I'm new to ArcObjectsNet API and first thing I tried was to build and run a sample. Tried C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.1\Samples\ArcObjectsNet\ClonableObject\ solution. Build it as x32 application.

Results:

- on Win x64 fails to checkout a license. esriLicenseProductCodeEngine is found not being available.
- on Win x32 the application works fine.

This puzzls me. ArcGis Engine 10.1 is registered on x64 and it should work.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
If you need rapid support then filing an issue with ESRI support is your best bet.  Sorry to ask the obvious but exactly what licenses do you have?  My guess is that there is a problem with your license(s).

The ArcGIS Pro API has not yet been made available so it isn't possible to provide future information on it.

I have 10.2.2 loaded.  On my machine when I open the project you mentioned then the Platform is set to "Active (x86)" on the Build tab in the project properties.  If you build the project that way then it will run as a 32 bit image regardless of whether you are running on a 32 or 64 bit machine.

I did the following:
1) Opened the solution in Visual Studio 2013
2) Deleted the ClonableObject assembly reference in TestApp
3) Added a project reference to CloneableObject in TestApp
4) Built the solution in debug and ran it

It ran fine.

FWIW, I am running on Windows 7 x64.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AhmedEl-Sisi
Occasional Contributor III
For ArcGIS 10+ applications,you should target X86 platform even on a 64-bit machine.

The ArcObjects Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) now target the X86 platform. Since ArcObjects PIAs are 32-bit applications, this modification allows you to safely run your ArcObjects applications on a 64-bit machine. The X86 target platform specifies to the common language runtime (CLR) that the assemblies must run as 32-bit processes, even on a 64-bit machine. For more information on the impact of this modification and how to modify your project settings to target the X86 platform, see Migrating ArcGIS 9.3 Desktop and Engine custom components to ArcGIS 10.

More Information:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualHelp/index.html#/What_s_new_at_10/00010...

Regards,
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/102513-ArcGIS-Engine-Dev-Kit-64-bit

ArcGIS Runtime is x86 or x64.
ArcGIS Server is x64.

ArcGIS Pro (not yet released) will support x64 but will be a different API.
0 Kudos
sbrockwell
New Contributor
Thanks for your answers, gentlemen.

@Ahmed: I mentioned
Build it as x32 application
i.e. targeting the x32 platform. It builds and runs fine, except it fails to retrieve the available licenses.

@Richard:
ArcGIS Pro (not yet released) will support x64 but will be a different API.
. Could you please give me more details about this API?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
sbrockwell
New Contributor
Hi. I'm still waiting for your answers. They are very important for our customer.
Could somebody help, please?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
If you need rapid support then filing an issue with ESRI support is your best bet.  Sorry to ask the obvious but exactly what licenses do you have?  My guess is that there is a problem with your license(s).

The ArcGIS Pro API has not yet been made available so it isn't possible to provide future information on it.

I have 10.2.2 loaded.  On my machine when I open the project you mentioned then the Platform is set to "Active (x86)" on the Build tab in the project properties.  If you build the project that way then it will run as a 32 bit image regardless of whether you are running on a 32 or 64 bit machine.

I did the following:
1) Opened the solution in Visual Studio 2013
2) Deleted the ClonableObject assembly reference in TestApp
3) Added a project reference to CloneableObject in TestApp
4) Built the solution in debug and ran it

It ran fine.

FWIW, I am running on Windows 7 x64.
0 Kudos
sbrockwell
New Contributor
Sorry to ask the obvious but exactly what licenses do you have?  My guess is that there is a problem with your license(s).

Great clue. I found the license was not properly authorized. Now it works fine. My bad, I apologize for the distraction.

I understand. On the other hand there is some good information available, e.g. http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/88329-The-history-and-future-of-the-ArcGIS-SDKs-for-.NET

What is not clear to me is this: will be possible to develop ArcObjects C++ x64 applications? For instance, will be possible to [finally!] port a x32 plugin to x64?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
The ArcGIS Pro beta is out but no SDK has been released.

If you are developing a desktop application then you will never have ArcObjects x64.  With Pro you will have x64 but it won't be ArcObjects.  That means that any existing application is going to have to be rewritten to support Pro.
0 Kudos