Add-In updating using Add-In manager folder

Jump to solution
10-09-2012 10:42 AM
MichaelNelson1
New Contributor III
We are creating an Add-In for each of our projects and placing in a directory on a server. Then users can point to their project directory through the Add-In Manager to just automatically load in tools.

It seemed in previous versions of ArcMap when updates were made to an Add-In I could just copy the new .esriAddIn into the directory and restarting ArcMap would update the tools. Starting around 10.0 sp3 or sp4 and continuing with 10.1 users need to remove their Add-In directory, restart ArcMap to make sure it has been removed (sometimes have to remove twice), then re-add the directory. Does anyone know if something changed in how Add-Ins are loaded?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichWawrzonek
Occasional Contributor
This behavior does not occur in 10.0 SP3. I really hope they haven't changed the deployment model in later versions.
Do you update the Config.esriaddinx file to a new version number when you make updates? I believe the local Add-In will be overwritten only when the network Add-In has a different version number.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichWawrzonek
Occasional Contributor
This behavior does not occur in 10.0 SP3. I really hope they haven't changed the deployment model in later versions.
Do you update the Config.esriaddinx file to a new version number when you make updates? I believe the local Add-In will be overwritten only when the network Add-In has a different version number.
0 Kudos
MichaelNelson1
New Contributor III
Good call. I tried that today and it is now doing the update. I had not been always changing version number. Not the best practice but was just for in-house use.
0 Kudos