When I add a new field, I select "Short Integer" but the field that is created is a "Long Integer". What is going on?

04-12-2022 11:48 AM
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

UPDATE: I was able to find a work-around. I've put it at the bottom of this post for anyone who experiences this same issue.

Hello everyone!

I'm attempting to load a dataset (D1) into another dataset (D2) and need all the field types to match. I am attempting to switch several of the fields in D1 from "Long Integer" to "Short Integer" to match D2's "Short" fields. However, when I go to "Add Field" in D1 and select "Short Integer", the resulting field defaults to "Long Integer". I have no idea why this is happening:

NewField1.PNG

NewField2.PNG

This change in types is happening directly after creating the field, and I haven't even begun loading new data into it with the Field Calculator. Does anyone know why this is happening? It's frustrating because I performed about 10 of these conversions before noticing this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SOLUTION:

When creating the field, if the "Precision" value is 5 or more, the field will default to "Long". For me, the default precision value when selecting "Short" was 0, but I had to change it to 4 to get the "Short" type to stay. Hope this helps someone!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

What version of ArcMap?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Hi Amanda,

I'm using 10.6.1. I was able to find a solution which I've posted above. 🙂

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Data types in the DBMS—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

depends on the destination table type.  sometimes field types can be remapped to the closest available type.

... sort of retired...