Select to view content in your preferred language

Unfamiliar Coordinate System Points?

Jump to solution
09-26-2023 10:35 AM
Carlos_Par
New Contributor II

Sorry adding some context.  I have some coordinates but I can't figure out what they are, the data is supposedly in NAD 1983 StatePlane North Carolina FIPS 3200 (US Feet).  I've been trying them in the Go To XY tool and nothings coming up.  These location units are listed but I'm not sure what they represent if I use them for degrees minutes seconds or anything they don't show up in Charlotte NC where they the data should be. Do these look familiar to anyone?

1325625.7, 555967.6
1325625.0, 555967.5
1347372.5, 580316.7, 2
1347372.5, 580316.7, 1
1347620.4, 565114.2, 2
1347620.4, 565114.2, 1

Looks kind of weird to me with those extra integers after the comma so maybe that's a data thing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

So at least you've narrowed it down to North Carolina State Plane. I don't have any super specific advice to offer at this point expect that the final variability might be due to the various flavors of State Plane there are, based on the datums etc.

I suggested NAD83 Feet because it should be the most common choice but, if you look through the various State Plane coordinate system choices, you'll see NAD83 (2011), NAD83 (CORS96), NAD83 (HARN) and so on and so on.

Try these variants out, one by one, and see what happens. Hopefully one of them will be the glass slipper.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

It would be helpful to know where you are, or where you expect your data to be located. In the US? or some other part of the world? If you're in the US, the two options that come to mind are either State Plane coordinates or UTM. Back the data up (or work on a copy) before you try applying projections so that you don't permanently mess it up.

0 Kudos
Carlos_Par
New Contributor II
Oh yes thank you, the data is in Charlotte, NC.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Some states have multiple state plane zones within their boundaries so you might have to further refine this but it looks like North Carolina only has one for the entire state. I'd try opening a blank data frame, adding a layer that you know should overlay with this suspect data (make sure *it* has a defined projection), and then changing the projection of the data frame to the North Carolina State Plane coordinate system:

"NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200_Feet"

Now add the layer you're trying to determine the projection for. Does it drop onto the other layer?

0 Kudos
Carlos_Par
New Contributor II

"NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200_Feet" is the defined projection but when I drop it onto another layer its supposed t overlay it's slightly off. 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

So at least you've narrowed it down to North Carolina State Plane. I don't have any super specific advice to offer at this point expect that the final variability might be due to the various flavors of State Plane there are, based on the datums etc.

I suggested NAD83 Feet because it should be the most common choice but, if you look through the various State Plane coordinate system choices, you'll see NAD83 (2011), NAD83 (CORS96), NAD83 (HARN) and so on and so on.

Try these variants out, one by one, and see what happens. Hopefully one of them will be the glass slipper.

0 Kudos