Unable to load ArcGIS 7.1 - missing VCOMP140.DLL

01-21-2020 09:52 AM
JohnTullis1
New Contributor

I have recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.7.1. The installation process went fine. However when I try to load ArcMap, or ArcCatalog, or ArcScene, I get the following error:

error vcomp140.dll

"The code execution cannot proceed because VCOMP140.DLL was not found"

I did a fresh uninstall, restart, and reinstall, and the same problem persists.

I searched my harddrive for all other instances of vcomp140.dll and this is what I found:

What's gone wrong, and how can I put it right?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi JT,

This is a Microsoft .dll but I don't see a sysWOW64 entry in your screenshot and I think it needs to be there as well:

I am not sure why the file sizes vary however. Also, in terms of getting it into that folder, I suppose you could try copying one but it is usually in the C ++ Redistributable so I would just exercise caution with files in system folders so maybe try following this answer from Msoft: Missing VCOMP140.DLL - Microsoft Community 

0 Kudos
asenshaw
New Contributor II

I am facing same problem, i see following error message when i open the program/software. i have installed it 3-4 times , i have the latest.net framework and also almost all required C++ redistribute able versions i also have the visual studio installed. still same problem.

asenshaw_0-1611258395309.png

0 Kudos
asenshaw
New Contributor II

after the effort many hours i have figured it out.

Minimum System requirements

ArcMap 10.7

|

Other versions

Visual Studio C++ 2017 Redistributable Requirement

.NET Support

Your computer must meet these minimum system requirements to install ArcGIS Desktop. For additional and updated requirements, see the System requirements page.

Visual Studio C++ 2017 Redistributable Requirement

ArcGIS Desktop requires "Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) Update 5". If the Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable is not already installed, running setup.exe will install it before setup.msi is launched. Setup.msi will not install if Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) Update 5 is not already installed.

.NET Support

ArcGIS Desktop requires "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.5". If .NET Framework 4.5 is not detected on your machine, the ArcGIS Desktop setup will not proceed.

I had many other versions but not exactly the C++ 2017 that is why it did not work and also i have installed .net core and runtime both al together.

1. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433...
  2. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0

please follow the links. thank you

Regards

0 Kudos