Strange characters in attribute table

Jump to solution
02-22-2022 08:21 AM
Labels (3)
IB3
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I just added a shapefile to Arcmap which was previously created in QGIS. I get strange characters instead of text. (see screen capture)

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem? 

Thanks

Isabelle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe Jeff is correct.

If this is all that is going on here, you should be able to select "Appearance" at the bottom of the table dropdown menu, then change the font to Ariel, or some other font with normal characters.

RhettZufelt_0-1645725263091.png

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

codepage of the document?  It looks like the language/internationalization settings on your machine differ from those used to create the table.  I would check it through qgis since arc* isn't going to be able to fix that

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

Looks like one of the "wingdings" font...characters represented by symbols?  For e.g. the symbol in column1 Row 1, is a folder-symbol, which is 0.  The symbol in Column1 Row 11, is a open folder with a close folder, which is 10.  

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe Jeff is correct.

If this is all that is going on here, you should be able to select "Appearance" at the bottom of the table dropdown menu, then change the font to Ariel, or some other font with normal characters.

RhettZufelt_0-1645725263091.png

R_

0 Kudos
IB3
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @RhettZufelt @JeffHouser , I couldn't change it to ariel, but it did work with other character, verdana, times... Thanks!

0 Kudos