Stand alone tables vs definition query

02-23-2022 09:02 AM
LorindaGilbert
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

We have several views in a separate SQL Server enterprise database that we are using to map points in our enterprise geodatabase(s) for different types of data.  We are copying the data from the views into our EGDB as a static feature class with points created and selected columns (due to ESRI not playing nice and efficiently with using data across networks and servers).

Our question is: should we bring the entire view (table) over and use definition queries in the mxd (project) to publish map layers or should we use sql to create individual tables to be brought in to the mxd (project) before publishing the map layers?  Is there a cost or benefit (space, time, messiness, etc) to either way?  This process will be run automatically on at least a nightly basis, possibly twice a day when decided.

Thanks,

Lorinda

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Lorinda,

As best practice, I would discourage the publishing of views.  I haven't had much luck doing so in the past.

I have a similar workflow that derives from views, but I use scripts to migrate the data into a feature class and then I publish the feature class as a feature service.  Make sense?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
LorindaGilbert
Occasional Contributor II

That is the plan, use the views in the original data to create feature classes in the SDE.  Question is:  should we do one feature class or break  it into multiples?  Performance hits for migration or display are considerations.

Thanks

Lorinda

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I guess the answer to one or multiple also depends on the usage of the feature service.  I would test both.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos