Select to view content in your preferred language

Species Distribution Map ArcMap

12-29-2023 01:59 AM
koates
by
New Contributor

I have to create a map for my GIS project that shows marine mammal species distribution within the UK and Ireland. The marine mammal data set is from the iucn red list and comes in the form of polygons, I also have a shapefile which is my Uk and Irish water boundaries (EEZ) from marine regions.com, I have tried clipping, intersect and select by location to try and limit the polygons to just my boundary, but it just highlights the species that intersect with this boundary and still shows their whole global range/distribution is there anyway to fix this?

As well as this all the polygons are overlapping and jumping I’ve tried an coved to try shrink the polygons but that didn’t work at all. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi!

Here is an example, it depends to your choice, you want to clip the points which are located inside the polygon or you want to clip the selected polygon that have points.

Here I clipped the polygon that have points.

Faiez_0-1703856074180.png

Here I clipped the points that have been located inside's the selected polygon

Faiez_2-1703856345435.png

You can redownload your data, to make sure it will works.

https://www.iucnredlist.org/resources/spatial-data-download

Clip (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Clip (Analysis)—ArcMap | Documentation

Good luck

Faiez

koates
by
New Contributor

Hi Thankyou for the reply, I don’t know if it’s me being silly but I’m using the marine mammal data from the IUCN and there is no point data available just polygon. I have copied in a photo of the attribute table. I have tried the clip example but I wasn’t able to get it to work I think because there is no point data. The polygons for the species are massive as well since it still shows there whole range I have also attached an example. The yellow is just one of the species distribution it’s shows that it enters my UK boundary but it doesn’t let me cut it off for just that section. Apologies if this is just me being silly.

0 Kudos