SelectLayerByAttribute into personal or file database

Jump to solution
05-10-2023 09:31 PM
Labels (1)
JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have successfully used the arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management function, and sent the results to a shapefile using the following code:

arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(fc + "_new", 'NEW_SELECTION', SetQuery)
# Write the selected features to a new featureclass to the
# defined "out_path"
outfc = os.path.join(out_path, fc + "_Edited")
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(fc + "_new", outfc)

What do I need to do if I want to send the results into a created personal or file database using the following code?

arcpy.management.CreateFileGDB(out_path, "NewForestGIS.gdb")

Thank You for your help

-Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaSharp-Heward
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

I think it should just work as is if you replace the out_path in your "outfc" line with the path to the new geodatabase (including the name of the geodatabase NewForestGIS.gdb). I'm pretty sure CopyFeatures defaults to outputting as a shapefile if it's writing to a folder and a feature class if it's writing to a geodatabase.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JoshuaSharp-Heward

Hi Jeff,

I think it should just work as is if you replace the out_path in your "outfc" line with the path to the new geodatabase (including the name of the geodatabase NewForestGIS.gdb). I'm pretty sure CopyFeatures defaults to outputting as a shapefile if it's writing to a folder and a feature class if it's writing to a geodatabase.

JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

Hello Joshua,

Thank you so much for your reply with information how to create a featureclass in a personal or filedatabase.  Using your suggestion, I did spend a couple of hours with the program last Thursday (I only work Mon-Thurs).  I was not successful.  Your solution must be correct, I just a need a little more time with the code and see why its not working.  Once I get the code to work, I will update "accept as solution".  Sorry for the delay.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
JoshuaSharp-Heward

Hi Jeff,

Feel free to post your code and what's going wrong and I can review it for you!

Cheers,

Josh

0 Kudos
JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

Hello Joshua,  I tried a couple of times, and it still failed.  On the third attempt, with your suggested change, it worked 😄  Hurray!  

Thank You Joshua.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
JoshuaSharp-Heward

Hi Jeff,

Think you may have marked the wrong reply as the solution, but I'm glad to hear that it's all working for you now as you hoped 🙂 happy to help out!

Josh

0 Kudos