Rotating Symbols

Jump to solution
12-07-2020 08:52 AM
mmcintir33
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm trying to rotate a point feature to a certain direction (each one will be facing a different direction from the last), however, when I go into the layer editor and try and rotate the symbol, the symbol will rotate about the point axis, but its orientation stays the same.  Would anyone know how to rotate the symbol in this case?

Thanks in advance! 

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicoleWeston
New Contributor II

Apologies, I just noticed it's an ArcMap question. I rotate symbols in ArcMap using this method

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000007259#:~:text=Click%20the%20Symbology%20tab%2C%20a....

NicoleWeston_0-1607370193440.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

It rotates but the orientation is the same? I don't understand.  Can you provide an image or elaborate more please.

0 Kudos
mmcintir33
New Contributor II

So, when I'm in an editing session, I can click the rotate tool, and I'll select a point to rotate around and the symbol itself will rotate around that point, I'm however, looking to change the orientation of the symbol (face it east, west, north, or south) as opposed to moving the symbol itself.

0 Kudos
NicoleWeston
New Contributor II

If you're using Pro, this is how I rotate symbols:

Go to the layer's symbology, click on the symbol you want rotated, click properties, go to layers

NicoleWeston_0-1607368517563.png 

then scroll down to rotation, and you can input a degree for the rotation

NicoleWeston_1-1607368572753.png

Let me know if this helps!

0 Kudos
mmcintir33
New Contributor II

I'm not using Pro, so I'm not sure this is a possible way.

0 Kudos
NicoleWeston
New Contributor II

Which software are you using?

0 Kudos
NicoleWeston
New Contributor II

Apologies, I just noticed it's an ArcMap question. I rotate symbols in ArcMap using this method

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000007259#:~:text=Click%20the%20Symbology%20tab%2C%20a....

NicoleWeston_0-1607370193440.png