Removing intersecting polygons

Jump to solution
02-24-2022 12:49 PM
Labels (3)
BeckB
by
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcMap 10.8.1. I have two polygon layers, shown below. I want to completely remove all of the purple circles that intersect any yellow circle. The Clip tool will only remove the area that overlaps with the yellow, but I would like to have the entire area taken out. How can I do this?

BeckB_0-1645735528787.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using Select By Location

Target Layer: Purple Polygon layer

Source Layer: Yellow Circle Layer

Selection Method: Intersect the source layer feature

Once Selection is done, you could just delete the selected feature parts (Turn On Editing, if required).

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using Select By Location

Target Layer: Purple Polygon layer

Source Layer: Yellow Circle Layer

Selection Method: Intersect the source layer feature

Once Selection is done, you could just delete the selected feature parts (Turn On Editing, if required).

Think Location
0 Kudos
ThiPham12
New Contributor III

You can also use the erase tool, which save you a step. 

0 Kudos
JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

In your post, you want to completely remove all purple circles that intersect any yellow circle. 

To do this, you could do a spatial join of the Purple & Yellow  (join the yellow to purple), and specify your output as a shapefile and check-off the 2nd option.  This output shapefile would contain attributes from both layers.  Once the output is created, copy the dbf of the output into its own folder, then join the dbf to the purple layer.  Any feature from the purple layer that has attributes (non-null values) from the "Yellow" layer can then be deleted.

0 Kudos