Mosaic different source DEM

04-07-2022 08:45 PM
Labels (2)
nurafiqah
New Contributor II

I have 2 source DEM raster; iFSAR and LiDAR. The LiDAR is overlay onto the iFSAR. I mosaic these two file using 'Mosaic to a new raster tool'. The output for mosaicked DEM looks normal. But when run Slope tool, there is sudden fluctuate at boundary between two file (see attachment). How to encounter this issue?

Disclaimer: I have resample both file individually to 5m cellsize beforehand

ifsar lidar overlay.jpg

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

could be some nodata cells

Slope function—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

try the Disable default edge pixel interpolation

... sort of retired...
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

What is the original DEM resolution of the two rasters? You say the mosaic'ed DEM looks ok but you might want to zoom into the boundary and compare elevations at the boundary. You might see some steep jumps due to collection/processing methods or the collection date of the source data. Resampling a 30m DEM (for example) to 5m does not improve the accuracy, just chops up the existing cells into smaller cells. 

0 Kudos
nurafiqah
New Contributor II

The elevation value at the boundary looks promising because the difference not too obvious. But when it overlay with the hillshade, there's an obvious turn in terrain surface. 

LiDAR = 0.5m

iFSAR = 5m

Would you mind to suggest how to mosaic these two DEM without having a sudden jumps at the boundary?

nurafiqah_0-1649644372398.png

elevation

nurafiqah_1-1649644416666.png

hillshade

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

LiDAR = 0.5m

iFSAR = 5m

You will have to generalize the lidar data to a 5m resolution. 

... sort of retired...
nurafiqah
New Contributor II

Hi Sir, the output above is based on the resampled LiDAR to 5m...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

to 5 m resolution?

not 0.5

The finer raster needs to be generalized to the coarser resolution, perhaps using the mean option

How Aggregate works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

If you are indeed doing what Dan is recommending and the results are still off, here is another solution that has worked for me. You need LiDAR points that overlap into your other iFSAR raster area. Convert these to a point geometry and covert your iFSAR raster to points. Erase the area where your lidar overlaps from iFSAR points. Create a TIN using the LIDAR overlap and iFSAR points > then convert this to a raster. This should 'smooth' out the elevations along this edge. It will not be perfect but should be slightly better. Then you mosaic that with your original LiDAR DEM.

0 Kudos
nurafiqah
New Contributor II

yes, from 0.5 to 5m resolution. I tried both, resample and aggregate method but result same. I found that when I generalized to coarser resolution like 20-30m, there's no more sudden drop on the boundary. I would take it as a solution for now. 

0 Kudos