Importing excel spreadsheet

Jump to solution
03-01-2021 02:23 PM
Labels (1)
JamesPetty
New Contributor

I have imported an excel spreadsheet into ArcMap. The points are showing up but when I turn on the base map the points disappear. It automatically zooms in really close, 1:3. When I try to zoom out to 1:24,000 It shows a black screen with one red dot.  What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to correct the problem. I am pretty new to this, so please be kind.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi James,

It sounds like the layer with the points that you have imported doesn't have a spatial reference defined.

Use the define projection tool to define the coordinate system information (map projection and datum) stored within the dataset. Define Projection 

View solution in original post

JamesPetty
New Contributor

Davin,

Thank you for the information.  I thought I had set the projection correctly when I added the data. Maybe I didn't. I have it set to NAD1983, NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N. I pulled the information from a picture on my cell phone. When I created the excel spread sheet I set the x axis as -101.1760000 and y axis 29.5370000 is this not correct? When I open the picture in maps on my phone this is the location it gives me, maybe this isn't in UTM's. How would  I find out what the projection needs to be? I appreciate the help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi James,

It sounds like the layer with the points that you have imported doesn't have a spatial reference defined.

Use the define projection tool to define the coordinate system information (map projection and datum) stored within the dataset. Define Projection 

JamesPetty
New Contributor

Davin,

Thank you for the information.  I thought I had set the projection correctly when I added the data. Maybe I didn't. I have it set to NAD1983, NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N. I pulled the information from a picture on my cell phone. When I created the excel spread sheet I set the x axis as -101.1760000 and y axis 29.5370000 is this not correct? When I open the picture in maps on my phone this is the location it gives me, maybe this isn't in UTM's. How would  I find out what the projection needs to be? I appreciate the help

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Those coordinates are longitude and latitude, they could be in a GCS WGS 84 or GCS NAD83

but they are "geographic" not "projected"

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos