I can't see my new lines in lay out view

03-19-2020 09:31 AM
mauricioescobar
New Contributor

I recently placed new lines in my lay out view and I can see them in my data view, but when I went back to my lay out view, they are not visible?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Mauricio - Assuming you're using ArcMap here.  If you add graphic text/lines/etc only in Layout View, they're only present in the map layout you're creating but not in Data View. If you want to see the graphic text/lines/etc in BOTH Layout View and Data View, then you need to add them in Data View only.  When you switch over to Layout View, you'll them there too.

0 Kudos
mauricioescobar
New Contributor

Thank you, I also have a question of how do I clip an specific area of the entire map of FLA. I don't need the entire map because it takes too long to refresh?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, you can use the Clip geoprocessing tool to limit the features in a feature class.  You do need a clipping polygon such as a city/county/area boundary.  The tool creates a new feature class (geodatabase or shapefile).  There are other ways to do this but this is the first thing that came to my mind.

0 Kudos
mauricioescobar
New Contributor

Thank you, Is it possible to create a layer out of a polyline? and how? I have placed several polylines that need to be converted to layers.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, use the Converting graphics into features workflow documented here.

0 Kudos
mauricioescobar
New Contributor

Thank you for all your help, I’m learning how to use the software on my own, very hard without a person to show me how, but I have used ArcMap in the past. So I need all the help I can get. Sorry for all the trouble that I’m putting you thru!. thanks

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

No trouble at all!  I'm a Senior Instructor with Esri so assisting/teaching people is my job.  Some (free) resources to learn ArcMap fundamentals:

0 Kudos
mauricioescobar
New Contributor

Good morning, I’m trying to build label expressions using the format that the company wants to display in our existing fiber shape file. Now my custom label expressions need to be inside the expression fields or below the FID in order to work. I don’t know how to place them there, I hope I’m making sense. Enclosed is a snap shot of my question. thanks

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Good morning!  Your snap shot did not appear - did you attach it via your last post?  Please resend the attachment and I'll give it a look.  Thx!

0 Kudos