Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I modify/change/correct incorrect coordinates so that they project in Arcmap 10.8.2??

11-09-2022 11:33 AM
tommyCO
New Contributor
It appears something with the coordinates in my field data is off and therefore, the points will not project at all over an ESRI basemap.

What do I need to do to make them project as they should? (ex. Modify the attritbute table where the coordinate columns are, etc, etc)

I get a "Warning: inconsistent extent" error when I add the data to a blank map

They currently are already defined as WGS 1984 UTM 13N

When I attempt to project I get a "failure error"

The data was collected on a Trimble Geo7x by me.

I noticed I have a secondary set of coordinate columns in the attribute table. Is this part of the issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions 🙂
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Have you tried with a new, empty ArcMap document, add the basemap first, then add your point feature class to it?

The first layer added to ArcMap sets the coordinate system of the map.  So, if you data is already loaded, it will have to reproject on the fly the entire basemap to your SR, which often causes issues.

Add the basemap first, then it should be able to on the fly project your data to it.  at least, if your data really is in the defined coordinate system for that dataset.

R_

0 Kudos
tommyCO
New Contributor

Hi Rhett,

I have tried that. It does not work unfortunately...

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated! I have been trying to figure this out for almost a week now 😞

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Could be something wrong with the data then.

You say you collected with Geo7x.  Did you have whatever software you are using on the Geo to capture/export the data in WGS84 UTM 13N or just the default output?

I believe Geo's normally collect in WGS84 lat/long and if not setup to output something else, that is what the output will be.

Did you do any re-projection on the data from the Geo in ArcMap?

One thing you might try is to re-define the data and assign it to WGS84 lat long (WKID: 4326), close ArcMap, open with new map, add the basemap, then add the data that has been re-defined to 4326.  If it lines up, then you would need to project the data if wanted in UTM.

If you're sure the data is correct and in the right UTM spatial reference, you might export to a FGDB feature class and run the Repair Geometry GP tool.  Sometimes a corrupt dataset/feature can cause issues like this.

R_

0 Kudos