How do I locate features along a route when they are offset from the route layer?

Jump to solution
05-24-2022 08:32 AM
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning Everyone!

I've been tasked with taking an event/feature line layer and locating it on our LRS layer. I've used the "Locate Features Along Routes" tool several times in the past, but only when the features overlaid the route. Unfortunately the features in this layer are primarily offset from the route layer like so:

Two features offset from route layer.Two features offset from route layer.

Ideally, I would like to locate the feature on the route via the beginning and end of the line perpendicular to the LRS like so:

Example of features located perpendicularly to the LRS.Example of features located perpendicularly to the LRS.

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

You might try Feature Vertices to Points with the (Both Start and End option) to create the end points of your events and then use a spatial join with the Match Option of "Closest".  Only problem is when the Start and End points are closer to two different segments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

You might try Feature Vertices to Points with the (Both Start and End option) to create the end points of your events and then use a spatial join with the Match Option of "Closest".  Only problem is when the Start and End points are closer to two different segments.

0 Kudos
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

This worked great, thank you! Here's the process I came up with:

1. Data Management > Feature > Feature Vertices to Points
2. Locate Features Along Routes (100ft distance).
3. Export to Excel.
4. Import into Access, group by Site ID and grab Min and Max measure as Begin Milepoint and End Milepoint.
5. Import into ArcMap and Display Route Events by RouteID.

Feature Final.PNG