Geocoding address gave weird x/y values?

02-13-2024 09:07 PM
JessMiller1
New Contributor II

Hi all, I need your help! I recently did some geocoding of addresses in ArcMap where I had to manually match over 200+ records and the output gave me these x & y's. Anyone have any idea how I can rectify this and get it in DD?

JessMiller1_0-1707886971986.png

My map is in NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200_Feet

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983.

The feature class is in:

JessMiller1_1-1707887096413.png

JessMiller1_2-1707887107802.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Amir-Sarrafzadeh-Arasi
Occasional Contributor

Dear JessMille,

I hope you are doing well,

You can check the repository of my Github in the below link, there is a very simple python script which you can convert from Web Mercator (WKID 3857) to WGS84 (latitude and longitude) and vice versa.

https://github.com/AmirSarrafzadeh/Convert_Cooridnates

Hope it helps,

Best wishes

Amir Sarrafzadeh Arasi
0 Kudos
JessMiller1
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the response!

I was looking at your script and I have absolutely no knowledge of Python. I tried to copy and paste the script, which I can't and suspect that's the way it is. Would you please be so kind as to tell me how to do this, as in make this work? I did try and save it as a python script and loaded into ArcMap but threw an error for line 1 -->Parsing error SyntaxError: invalid syntax (line 1)

I am way out of my depth for python.

0 Kudos
Amir-Sarrafzadeh-Arasi
Occasional Contributor

Dear JessMille,

No worries, if you can prepare me a small portion of your dataset of coordinates or a part of your feature class, I can write a python script and you can run on your dataset.

Best regards

Amir Sarrafzadeh Arasi
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JessMiller1 What locator was used to geocode your table? If you are using a custom locator based on reference data that has a projection of NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200_Feet, then the locator will output the result in that coordinate system. The coordinates in your screenshot are US Feet. There are a few things you can do :

1. In the Geocode Addresses dialog specify a different coordinate system for the output.

ShanaBritt_1-1708107049303.png

2. If using the Geocode Addresses geoprocessing tool, click environments button and expand output coordinate system and specify a geographic coordinate system

3. You could use the Project geoprocessing tool to reproject the geocode result to a geographic coordinate system like WGS 1984, then use the result in the Add XY Coordinates tool.

0 Kudos