Find Tool Locking Up ArcMap 10.3.1

09-11-2018 04:43 AM
GlennGorman
New Contributor II

I'm using my find tool like I've done in the past to search for a record and then have the tool zoom to that feature.  Everything is the same as in the past until I try to left click on the found feature so that I can zoom to that feature.  When I right click on the found record, I just get the turning wheel of death.  No options pop up, and the software seems to lock up.  Anyone ever have this issue just start out of the blue???

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If upgrade in arcmap is possible...

BUG-000090993: The Find tool in ArcMap hangs or crashes when used o.. 

fixed in 10.4

or...

Instead of searching through all fields with the Find tool, specify a search field.
GlennGorman
New Contributor II

Dan, we should probably upgrade. And it is crashing when a field is specified.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Upgrade... and get moving on ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you searching data in an SDE Oracle database?

0 Kudos
GlennGorman
New Contributor II

The data is in a file geodatabase, but not on a server. I also tried to export the data from the gdb into a shapefile to see if it was an issue with the gdb, but still had the issue.

Glenn Gorman

GIS Analyst, Planning

Charles County Government

200 Baltimore Street

LaPlata, MD 20646

(301)396-5845

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

That is interesting because the bug is associated with an Oracle database, but it does appear to be wider in scope than the bug documentation.  This bug would only be fixed with an upgrade unless you specify a field and 10.3.1 is getting dated at this point.  Do you have the ability to upgrade your GIS software?

0 Kudos
GlennGorman
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, The folks in my IT department control version updates. We always seem to lag quite a bit as far as updates. I’ve been told they like to wait for bugs to be ironed out with newer versions, and then there have been other issues I think. But I’ll check with IT and see what plans are in the works to get an update.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

If it helps to support an upgrade case, ArcGIS 10.3.1 will be in mature support in December of this year, meaning no new patches or service packs will be released for this version. 

https://support.esri.com/en/Products/Desktop/arcgis-desktop/arcmap/10-3-1#product-support 

0 Kudos
GlennGorman
New Contributor II

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos