Exporting map scrabbles text for labels, scale and legend

05-04-2021 05:32 AM
NatashaTaitReynolds
New Contributor

Hi GIS wizards!

For some reason my labels keep cutting off; the same happens with my legend when converting to pdf or jpeg.  The text shows correct in map view, but as soon as I export the map it scrabbles the text.

I am using ArcMap 10.8 and have never experienced this issued until my ArcMap was reinstalled on a new laptop.

In the attached map, the numbers are scrambled in the scale bar and my labels are crammed together or overlapping.

How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

I would try reloading your True Type Fonts. Assuming you are on Windows 10, Open the Windows 10 Settings menu, click on Personalization, and then click on the Fonts tab. You should see in-line examples of the font faces you currently have installed. Other option is navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts. On my machine I have 266 font styles loaded. 

If you navigate in File Explorer, on the left side there will be a Font Settings link, follow this to the Restore default font settings button. See example photo attached. This may be worth a try...

0 Kudos
NatashaTaitReynolds
New Contributor

Thanks, I tried this, unfortunately I still have this problem, this is so frustrating! 

Thank you for your suggestion

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

What Font did you use for your labels?

When exporting the pdf select the option to embed the fonts.

0 Kudos
NatashaReynolds
New Contributor

I tried various fonts, font size and colors, with no luck.  

0 Kudos
NatashaReynolds
New Contributor

Thanks for you comment, I did ensure that the option to embed fonts was ticked

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

The above is a good idea, if the fonts look good in ArcMap (or Pro) and then are missing or are replaced by #!%# in the PDF then Adobe may not be able to use you selected font.  

*this behavior can seen when using an ESRI font (or symbol style) that is ONLY available on machines with ArcGIS Desktop installed. In this case the PDF would look fine on your machine but if someone without ArcGIS Desktop opened it on 'their' machine they would see the !#$#!@ issue.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

A good practice is to stick with common fonts for labels. 

Ariel is one of the most common

0 Kudos
NatashaReynolds
New Contributor

Thanks, I did change the font, with no luck 😞  I uninstalled and downgraded to a earlier version and I still have this problem.

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

Since you are talking ArcMap there are two things you should try:

1. Delete your Normal.mxt file at C:\Users\<your user id>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.7\ArcMap\Templates

replace 10.7 with your version. Since you downgraded delete the 10.8 folder you may find at the above location as well.

2. Have a different user login to your computer with a different user id and see if they have the same issue with your map. 

If their account works and yours does not, that means your Windows 10 Profile is corrupt on the machine.

0 Kudos