Export multiple rasters as a single netcdf

Jump to solution
02-08-2021 11:09 AM
CGoetsch
New Contributor II

We are working with oceanographic data and calculating sst fronts at a daily temporal resolution. We need to export multiple (thousands) of individual frontal rasters as netcdf files for subsequent analysis in R. We are trying to avoid having thousands of netcdf files of a single raster layer each. Is it possible to export these rasters into a single netcdf files with a time dimension and how would that be accomplished? 

Thanks in advance for your help! Also, we are working in ArcMap desktop version 10.8.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could create a Raster Dataset or Raster Catalog using your rasters. And then using Raster to NetCDF (multidimension) tool to create the NetCDF file.

Note: You may want to test the below steps on a few raster files.

e.g. Let's assume you have all the individual raster files in a single workspace.

1. Use Create Raster Catalog to create an empty raster catalog.

2. Use Workspace to Raster Catalog to load all the rasters files in the existing Raster Catalog.

3. Use Raster to NetCDF (Multidimension) to create the NetCDF from the Raster Catalog data.

Let me know if this works for you.

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could create a Raster Dataset or Raster Catalog using your rasters. And then using Raster to NetCDF (multidimension) tool to create the NetCDF file.

Note: You may want to test the below steps on a few raster files.

e.g. Let's assume you have all the individual raster files in a single workspace.

1. Use Create Raster Catalog to create an empty raster catalog.

2. Use Workspace to Raster Catalog to load all the rasters files in the existing Raster Catalog.

3. Use Raster to NetCDF (Multidimension) to create the NetCDF from the Raster Catalog data.

Let me know if this works for you.

Think Location
CGoetsch
New Contributor II

Thanks so much! This is exactly what we needed. 

0 Kudos
Johnthegiraffe
New Contributor II

Dear Jayanta,

I dont get an option to build a raster catalog. Only an raster dataset or mosaic dataset. Also I cannot easily find only how to build a raster catalog. Could you provide instructions how to build such a catalog. Furthermore, I only see the function 'Workspace to Raster dataset'. When I try to export .crf or mosaic dataset with Raster to netcdf I only get 1 day. also '(multidimensional) is missing in the function name.

0 Kudos
xianfei
New Contributor

I use ArcGIS Pro, and there is not raster catalog……How to solve this problem ?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
MarkGilbert
Esri Contributor

Would the R-ArcGIS Bridge allow you to accomplish this without having to "export" anything?

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/r-arcgis-bridge/overview

0 Kudos