Does ArcMap support PostGIS spatial datatypes with curves (CURVEPOLYGON and MULTISURFACE)?

03-10-2022 05:29 AM
Labels (1)
GIS_1111
New Contributor

I have a PostGIS DB with tables with geometries of datatypes CURVEPOLYGON or MULTISURFACE that I try to read (not edit) in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro  (in QGIS it just works fine). I'm using ArcMap 10.8/ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0/PostgreSQL 14.0/PostGIS 3.1. I'm connecting directly (no SDE involved)

Does ArcMap (and ArcGIS Pro) support curves, i.e. datatype CURVEPOLYGON and MULTISURFACE ?

Documentation (https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-postgresql/data-types-postgresql.htm) just says that it supports "Geometry (PostGIS)" in general. But does that mean it supports all subtypes of type "geometry" ?

While it works fine with objects of datatype "MULTIPOLYGON", nothing is displayed for objects of datatype "CURVEPOLYGON" and opening the attribute table fails with the error message:

"Error reading OID from table.....Invalid Entity type. the operation is not supported by this implementation"

My definition of OID is the same in both cases: id integer NOT NULL,

A hint that curves are not supported is the drop-down list "Geometry Type" in the "New Query Layer" window that only offers "Polygon".

When trying with ArcGIS Pro I get the following error message when I try to add the data to the map:

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041520

Can anybody confirm that PostGIS curved datatypes are NOT supported by ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies