Docked toolbars moving positions in ArcMap 10.8.1

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 07:33 AM
JenniferBloomer
New Contributor II

Recently, I've noticed that every time I open ArcMap, my docked toolbars shift their position. Another user had this same problem in ArcMap 10.3:
ArcMap 10.3 Toolbar are moving when they are docked 
Unfortunately, the solution referenced a post that has since been archived and is no longer accessible.

Currently using ArcMap 10.8.1 in Windows 10 Pro. I have a dual monitor setup at the office, but use only a single screen (my laptop) at home. This issue occurs regardless of how many monitors are in use (my laptop screen is set as my main screen in either case). I am currently the only person in the office using ArcMap, so I have no idea if this issue would occur for other users on our network. Since IT automates all updates, I do not know if this glitch is connected to a recent Windows update either.

The only way a toolbar stays docked properly is when it is placed directly underneath the main file pulldown menu (see attached image). Even then, only a single toolbar (the one directly underneath) will maintain its docked position.

Floating toolbars are unaffected by this glitch, so my workaround has been to keep most toolbars floating (somewhat inconvenient) or to turn on & dock required toolbars, then turn them off before closing the application (also inconvenient).

I have tried resetting my ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) application profile, but the issue remains. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, is there any solution for it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A known bug with dual monitor setup.

NIM003161: Docked toolbars stack up when you reload the saved d.. (esri.com)

I don't expect this bug to get addressed, since we are already in the last release version of ArcMap.

You might consider migrating to ArcGIS Pro.

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A known bug with dual monitor setup.

NIM003161: Docked toolbars stack up when you reload the saved d.. (esri.com)

I don't expect this bug to get addressed, since we are already in the last release version of ArcMap.

You might consider migrating to ArcGIS Pro.

Think Location
VilleJärvinen
New Contributor

We appear to have this bug at the office with Arcgis 10.8.2. Apparently the official solution is "Don't use ArcGIS".

I'll try write protecting normal.mxt if that works.

E: No it didn't, still messed up

0 Kudos
JenniferBloomer
New Contributor II

It's upsetting that this bug has apparently been around (and unaddressed) since 2006. Very strange that I've only encountered it recently, esp. since I've been using ArcMap with a dual monitor setup for years.

It may be a hard sell to my company to ask for an upgrade to ArcGIS Pro, but if ArcMap is reaching its end-of-life, we may have no choice.

Thanks again for the prompt answer (even if it's not the one I wanted!)

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not sure if it is the same issue, but ArcMap has "randomly" moved/rearranged toolbars since 10.0.

Since it is random, but WILL happen at some time, I have a scheduled task that copies my normal.mxt file every night with a timestamp in the filename.

Then, when I notice the issue, close ArcMap and replace the normal.mxt with the last "good" backup to put all my toolbars/customizations back in place.

If this is happening "Every Time" you open a saved document (assuming you don't have it set to save all customizations to the document), then this is probably a different issue.

Hopefully they will resolve it as we are currently "updating" to 10.8.1.

10.8.1 is the Utilities/Telecom version and is supposed to be patched/kept up to date until 2026.  However, it seems that ESRI sometimes needs to be reminded about the UT version now and then or the updates never happen.

R_

AnkeHilbig-Motz
New Contributor

Hi,

this problem apperars sometimes in different versions. In our company, the common way to solve is setting a write protection to the normal.mxt file after closing ArcMap successfully.

BR

Anke

0 Kudos