Converting map units (m) to utm

Jump to solution
06-10-2021 12:07 PM
Labels (1)
Rebekah
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you can help me fix a silly mistake I made.

I manly wrote down the xy of points that I mapped in Arcmap 10.7.1 (using the xy values that appear in the bottom right hand corner of the display.

I thought these xy values were UTM coordinates but have since discovered they are either map or display units in m. The coordinate system is Geographic (WGS_1984) but the display units are m.

Is there a way I can convert these xy map/display units to UTM?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Rebekah
New Contributor II

Hi JayantaPoddar, 

So close!! It's in the right area but not quite overlapping (See screenshot). Is this a question of finding the right coordinate system then?

With regards to the UTM zones, I wanted UTM because I'm going to be comparing my results to another model that is plotted in UTM. So I guess for comparison purposes it should be fine. But if there is a better coordinate system for my analysis do let me know!

Thank you! 2021-06-14.png

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is that a polygon layer that I can see? What is the coordinate system of the polygon layer and the DEM Raster? Share the snapshot(s) of the coordinate system (Layer Properties).

Think Location
0 Kudos
Rebekah
New Contributor II

Its not a polygon layer, they are lines I have drawn. But the coordinate system of the hillshade is:2021-06-14 (1).png

0 Kudos
Rebekah
New Contributor II

Hi JayantaPoddar, 

I just wanted to let you know my solution to this problem.

I realised that the map unit was Arcmaps conversion of decimal degrees to meters. So, in excel, I converted my xy values (in the csv file) to decimal degrees and imported it to Arcmap, now the grid plots where it should. 

Thank you so much for your help, I have learned a lot!

Best wishes