CLEAR CACHE

01-03-2022 07:56 AM
MeganCampe
New Contributor

Hello,

I have over 1GB of ArcMap.cache (see attached). Is it safe to delete? I did try to delete from ArcMap Options and it doesn't do anything.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Clearing cache should not be detrimental.  However, as large as your cache is you may see significant improvement on performance when you do. 

Don't delete that file, use the Clear Cache dialog in ArcMap

0 Kudos
MeganCampe
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. I did try 'Clear Cache' from ArcMap options. As mentioned in my previous post it doesn't delete this gigantic file even though I point to it in the path. See my second snapshot. Any other ideas how to safely delete it? 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

The cache file in the first link is over 18 months old and must be from a previous version of ArcMap

Try renaming it first.  Then run ArcMap, if nothing detrimental happens that this is probably the case.  You should be able to delete it.  If it does cause issues then you can restore it from the Trash 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you seen this Esri Community thread?  It seems related:

Solved: ArcMap.cache.data file getting huge - Esri Community

0 Kudos
MeganCampe
New Contributor

Yes,  I did see it. I am just wondering if it's safe to delete it straight in 'BmLCacheV2' folder. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If emptying the cache did nothing, then it may be a remnant as suggested.  Try not to delete folders using your operating system, rename as suggested would be safest until you are sure your current version works, then delete

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos