Attribute table doesn't show all characteristics of item

07-17-2020 03:25 AM
SimonField
New Contributor

Hi,

Probably a very basic query here. I have a feature class of buildings in an area of a city, these can be displayed in ArcMap. The attribute table of the feature class only contains an ID, the 'Shape' field (all items are 'Polygon') and the building height field. What I would like to know is where the other attributes of each building are stored such as the building location (x,y coordinates?) and the shape of the building that allow it to be displayed on a map?

Many thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Those are all stored in the Shape field. Take a look at this page in the documentation that explains what that Shape field contains:

ArcGIS field data types—ArcGIS Help | Documentation 

0 Kudos
SimonField
New Contributor

Thanks Ken for the reply. 

Is there any way to view the other attributes (in ArcGIS?) of the buildings that are stored in the Shape field?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have an Advanced License, you can export the coordinates of the polygon's vertices.

How To: Export coordinates of polygon vertices to a TXT file 

0 Kudos
SimonField
New Contributor

Thanks Ken for clearing that up for me, very helpful. I've always wondered where the details were stored.

Simon

On ‎Monday‎, ‎20‎ ‎July‎ ‎2020‎ ‎15‎:‎14‎:‎32‎ ‎BST, Ken Buja <geonet@esri.com> wrote:

|

GeoNet, The Esri Community

GIS and Geospatial Professional Community

|

Re: Attribute table doesn't show all characteristics of item

reply from Ken Buja in ArcMap - View the full discussion

If you have an Advanced License, you can export the coordinates of the polygon's vertices.

How To: Export coordinates of polygon vertices to a TXT file 

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet, The Esri Community

Start a new discussion in ArcMap by email or at GeoNet, The Esri Community

Following Re: Attribute table doesn't show all characteristics of item in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos