Arcmap 10.5 crashes when using Toolbox

05-09-2017 01:46 PM
SusanPenacho1
New Contributor II

I have arcgis 10.5 desktop on my windows 10 machine. I tried uninstalling arcgis 10.5 and python and reinstalling but the problem persists. Any ideas on how to fix? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Start with steps in this https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=cd6a211a-a246-4fe0-8698-e9e9f38eaf2d&sea...‌    It's amazing how those steps can fix many "now it crashes desktop" issues.

Windows 10 can have a few other quirks, but see if the above works first.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the solution steps provided by Rebecca doesn't work, you could disable background geoprocessing. Sometimes, it causes the issue as well.

Foreground and background processing—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Also I have seen a fresh install of Windows 10 gives fewer issues with ArcGIS than those upgraded from older versions.

Think Location
SusanPenacho1
New Contributor II

Unchecking the background geoprocessing worked and now the program has stopped crashing. However, I still can not use the Search window in arcmap though it does open in arccatalog. When I click on the search window nothing happens. 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check Problem: The Search window in ArcMap does not return any results .

Are you facing the same issue?

Think Location
0 Kudos
SusanPenacho1
New Contributor II

That's not quite the problem. I can not even open the search window (either by clicking on the icon or going under windows>Search or the shortcut ctrl+F). I tried option b (since I can't get to the search options under option a) and still could not open the search window after renaming the catid folder. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile usually resolves this kind of issues. Ensure all ArcGIS Desktop applications are closed before you proceed with resetting the ArcGIS application profile.

Also rename the ESRI folder in the registry to ESRI_OLD.

The folder may be located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI

Think Location
0 Kudos
SusanPenacho1
New Contributor II

I did all those rest items and it did not fix the issue. I still cannot open the search window in arcmap though it does still work in arccatalog though its slow to open

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try a repair... start control panel and look for 'uninstall' which will get you to this dialog, right-click on arcgis

Then proceed from there