Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcMap 10.5.1 connect to SSMS 19

yesterday
Labels (3)
EllaDelaRosa

Hi Community

I'm trying to connect to a SQL database via ArcMap 10.5.1 on my windows 10 Enterprise. I'm getting the "Unable to connect to database server to retrieve database list......" error, as well as the "Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server Client communications software that is not supported" error. I have ODBC driver 17 and OLE DB driver for sql server. I use the same credentials in a remote connection to the non-production server, and on SQL Server Management Studio 19 on my PC, and it works there, but not in ArcMap or ArcCatalog.  Any ideas why?

Thank You

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @EllaDelaRosa 

I read in another post that issues may come up when more than one DB driver is used, the post mentioned that the user used ODBC 17 and uninstalled the others. Maybe that could be a starting point! Other than that, what version is your SQL server, and would it be possible to update your ODBC driver to a newer version?

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcmap-questions/arcmap-connect-to-sql-database/m-p/1194806#M3921

Cody

EllaDelaRosa

Thanks Cody! 

I have SSMS 19.3, do I need OLE DB Driver 19? I currently have only the ODBC 17 and the OLE  DB 18. Do i need to download a later version of .NET Framework as well?

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @EllaDelaRosa 

Since you're using SSMS, I would say first attempt to uninstall the OLE DB 18 driver if it is not being used, the ODBC and OLE DB drivers are similar and may cause conflicts, I would then try to install the OLE DB 18 driver and uninstall the other. If all else fails, attempt to install the ODBC 18 driver and leave OLE DB uninstalled for that moment. I assume it could be something to do with an incompatibility.

Cody

0 Kudos
EllaDelaRosa

@CodyPatterson Thank you so much! I'll try that right now and let you know!

0 Kudos