Select to view content in your preferred language

Workforce mobile user sync

02-12-2024 04:14 PM
JoeDrewnowski
New Contributor

Hi, We are using Workforce in our 10.9.1 Enterprise environment.  The mobile tablets users have to constantly reload map or they won’t get their assignments.  The sync doesn’t appear to be completing.  We see in the log files that the information is requested from the data store but never makes it back to the mobile device and eventually times out.  Anyone else experience anything like this?   We have custom fields in the workforce project added to the assignments layer.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeMatthys
Frequent Contributor

We had an issue with Workforce syncing at my organization.  Here is the thread and solution that worked for us.  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-workforce-questions/workforce-replica-sync-issue/m-p/1317332#M2...

0 Kudos
waddellt
Emerging Contributor

We are also having sync issues but are having them from AGOL, not Enterprise.

0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Frequent Contributor

@JoshuaClifford1 @AndreasHall 

@waddellt 

We have had this as an on-going issue it seems, but there is no pattern. Lately, my department super and field foreman are complaining to me big time that the mobile workforce device is not synching, even though I have it set to auto-sync every 15 minutes. Our foreman isn't getting new assignments and operations are not seeing completed assignments. 

Is there a bug/issues on ESRI's process(s) OR is there a setting that I am missing? Is there a workaround for get the synching to work again? I know if we redownload the workforce project on the mobile device, anything that hasn't been uploaded/synch will be lost and I will receive, politely "HECK" for it. 

Update: I understand that all feature layers within a web map/project need to be sync enabled. I've gone thru each and every one of those and they are all sync enabled. However, on the workforce project overview, it says the worker map has layers that are not syn enabled. Is there an easier way to run a QA/QC process to see if I missed something? Also, is this causing an issue with the overall assignments/workers data from properly being auto sycn'd? 

Appreciate any feedback or assistance because I am barely keeping my head above water on this.

0 Kudos
JakeMatthys
Frequent Contributor

I believe that all content in the webmap that is consumed on the tablet must have sync enabled.  If not, the assignments/workers data will not sync.  My org has had issues with this from time to time.  I create a copy of the webmap (for backup purposes) and remove all the layers (with the exception of the workforce layers (assignments, workers, etc)) and save the webmap and verify that syncing works.  Then I start adding layers and continue testing.  In the past, I have found that the culprit is a service that has sync enabled, but maybe the GDB level change occurred that affected a column.  Anyway, this method (though long and arduous) can help identify the culprit.

Good Luck...

- Jake

ModernElectric
Frequent Contributor

@JakeMatthys 

Appreciate the feedback. I will experiment with that workflow and see what the results are. I've recently used the Generate Schema Report tool to find any OIDs in my file GDB that are a 64-bit versus a 32-bit, since I understand the 64-bit OID does not work in AGOL/Workforce very well. Any experience if this tool will work the same way on a Hosted Feature Layer from AGOL? Trying to find ways to automate processes.

0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Regular Contributor

Did you ever figure this out?  We have the same issue, same environment but our sync issues occur when we try to delete completed assignments from Workforce.

0 Kudos
JakeMatthys
Frequent Contributor

We periodically delete (move them to a different storage repo) the completed assignments from Workforce (we do 250k assignments a year and the dispatcher map becomes slow and meaningless with that many records).  We have found that when we remove completed assignments, the Workers must reload the Workforce project.  I think the explanation is that records that exist on the replica (on the iPad) no longer exist on the server (because we have deleted them) and it causes replica sync issues.  Our practice is to ask all users to sync by a certain date or risk losing some data because they will be forced to reload the project after the assignment cleanup has taken place.

- Jake

0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Regular Contributor

Thanks Jake for posting your SOP.  This has been what we ended up doing as well.  I just don't think there is any other workaround right now.