Using Survey 123 to push assignments to Workforce

06-14-2018 06:23 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to integrate Survey 123 and Workforce so that forms filled out in Survey 123 can be pushed to Workforce as assignments automatically for workers (i.e, When someone fills out the form saying they would like to locate something on their property, have that form either become the assignment or push another assignment for the worker)?

Thanks,

Robert Phillips

7 Replies
MikeOnzay

Set up your workforce project. Add new fields to the assignments layer through data tab in My Contents. Create your survey and publish it against the assignments layer.

Use hidden fields in your survey to populate some of the fields for Workforce.

Look at the schema to http://doc.arcgis.com/en/workforce/android-phone/help/workforce-schema.htm to see the ids used for status and priority. When the user clicks submit on the survey the assign_status should be set to 1.

Look at the data table of the workers featureclass to see the objectID that was assigned to each worker you added. Use that in a choice list in your survey.

If you want to add attachments from the survey use image as the type and attachmentFile as the name.

I have a second survey123 form that is also published against this service that the worker uses for more detailed responses. When the worker refreshes the inbox it is set to only pull down assignments that are open and assigned to that particular worker.

The main reason why I'm using WF in this way is because attachments are not downloaded via the Survey123 Inbox. My workflow requires that the worker is able to see the attachment and Workforce has this functionality.

I'm using this solution as a light weight work order system for water meters.

RPGIS
by

Thanks Mike,

I meant to respond earlier for your help. I have yet to implement this but I was just curious about it because I was thinking it might be useful for my department. I have yet to see if my supervisor and manager would be willing to utilize workforce in this manner. Also, are there other sites that you could help point me to that could help me fully understand how to integrate most of Esri's applications such as workforce and survey 123. I know about navigator but I am looking to use some of the others and see in what other ways people have integrated these applications, or even other 3rd party apps.

Robert Phillips

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

Would you please be able to describe in more details what you did when you " Create your survey and publish it against the assignments layer." ?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MikeOnzay

Alex,

The assignments layer is an existing hosted feature service. Publishing against an existing feature service is described in this blog post - working with existing feature services

Here are some quick instructions:

Look at the details for that service. Click on the 3 dots and choose view item details.

hfs 2

On the overview page scroll down to the bottom and copy the service URL

service url

In the settings tab of the survey123 worksheet, in the cell under submission_url paste the service URL. (I x'd out my specific values)

https://services.arcgis.com/xxxx/arcgis/rest/services/service_xxxx/FeatureServer

Publishing from Survey123 is a two step process. Save your worksheet and click publish in Survey123 Connect. If all goes well you will see this message

submission okay

Then click publish survey

If you get this message then one of the field names in your survey does not match a field name in the existing feature service. (this message doesn't tell you which field(s). It only tells you how many. In this example, it is one field). Go through your survey again to make sure the field names match the fields in the existing feature service.

submission not okay

DavidBuehler

Mike,

Referencing:  "If you want to add attachments from the survey use image as the type and attachmentFile as the name."

How do you get multiple images to insert as attachments?

0 Kudos
MikeOnzay

After re-reading my posts I realize that I should not have used the plural of the word attachment. Sorry. I'm only attaching one file. And I should state that I'm not attaching a PDF. Only a jpg image because attaching PDFs are not supported in Survey123 https://community.esri.com/thread/210640-adding-pdf-attachment-to-survey123-instead-of-image even though WF supports attaching PDFs

DavidBuehler

Bummer.  I have a process that needs to have potentially eight photos.  It would be great to just push them from the survey.

0 Kudos