How to select large number of assets in Workforce

11-08-2018 09:28 AM
ChrisRumig
New Contributor III

I'm attempting to create a Workforce/Survey 123 app for our Regional Transit Division for snow clearing. My organization is the upper tier municipality and as a result we have snow removal contracts with three different external companies (one for each city).  When we have a snow event all bus stops must be cleared of snow and have salt/sand or other anti-icing agents applied. 

I was trying to see if there is a way to select all the bus stops in one municipality and create assignments for one contractor.  I can't manually select them as I get the error message 'Identify area too large'.

Is there another way to accomplish this or is there any development work going on that would allow the dispatcher to select all the assets in one municipality and create an assignment  The most bus stops we have in one city is ~1300.

Workforce for ArcGIS‌ #workforce and survey 123 integration

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

We have an example Jupyter Notebook (Python script) that I demoed at the 2018 User Conference that shows how to do this programmatically via the ArcGIS API for Python. This example assigns all of the assignments that fall within certain districts to certain workers.

workforce-scripts/UC 2018 - 5 - Spatially Assign Work.ipynb at master · Esri/workforce-scripts · Git... 

0 Kudos
ChrisRumig
New Contributor III

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for sharing the python script.  I was able to get some amazing help from ESRI Canada staff with the python script, which led me to find a way to create the assignments using FME.  I now have a FME Workbench that runs on FME Server...when an email is sent from the dispatcher to a prescribed inbox the workbench runs creating the assignments.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris,

In addition to Aaron's comment, I'll also add that - we do plan to review the bulk assignment creation within Workforce in an upcoming release.  This will not be part of our next release, but it is in the backlog.

Craig

0 Kudos
RichardCitkowicz
New Contributor III

We are also looking to create assignments in Workforce in Enterprise but the "Identify area too large. Please try again." error message. Can a reconfigure on the back end happen? 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChrisRumig @RichardCitkowicz 

It's been a while since you asked for this; in the Fall release of Workforce (scheduled for Sept 21st) we will be increasing the max number of feature results and removing the 12 feature limit.

We will still honor the maxRecordCount limit in the underlying feature service.  This applies for all Feature related searches; whether in the Search textbox, Lasso or Rectangle tools.  There will also not be a limit on the assignments you can create for the Search results; if 200 features are returned, you can create 200 assignments.

0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

Has this update been pushed out to Enterprise?
I am running into the limitation of Identify Area Too Large in Portal environment with Workforce.

It would also be helpful if the dispatcher map had a layer list widget to toggle off assets to reduce the number being identified for a work order. 

0 Kudos