Creating Assignment with Select Tool / From Feature

04-15-2021 12:20 PM
KellyArmstrong
Occasional Contributor II

Is the only way an assignment can be created by selecting features is to use the lasso/select by rectangle tool?  This can't be, can it?  What if the multiple features I want to select aren't able to be selected by one rectangle?  Maybe they are non-contiguous.  There is no free-hand select tool that accumulates selections?  This seems sort of elementary...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kelly,

With our June, 2021 release we'll be adding a new tool to select by Lasso.  This will work the same way as the select by Rectangle tool does in that, it will not accumulate selections.  We haven't had this request come in before and it's not in our backlog.

Are you able to go into some detail on your workflow and how accumulating selections would help you?

thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos
KellyArmstrong

Craig,

Sometime when creating assignments, it would be nice to choose features that non-contiguous; they are on opposite ends of the city.  So as of right now, I would have to create two separate assignments to be able to capture them with the select tool....

0 Kudos
GISPro1
New Contributor III

It would also be helpful to make assignments by feature attribute.  For example, I'd like to assign everything in Zone 1 to Worker 1, Zone 2 to Worker 2, and so on.

KellyArmstrong

It would also be nice to be able to query features or related tables to create assignments.  For example;  select hydrants that haven't been painted in last 10 years....

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@KellyArmstrong @GISPro1 thanks for the feedback; here's our plans for each of your requests:

1. Sometime when creating assignments, it would be nice to choose features that non-contiguous; they are on opposite ends of the city.  So as of right now, I would have to create two separate assignments to be able to capture them with the select tool....
    1. Correct and we do not have any plans to support this capability in Workforce. This request hasn't really come in - so I would encourage you to post to the Ideas site.
  2. It would also be helpful to make assignments by feature attribute.  For example, I'd like to assign everything in Zone 1 to Worker 1, Zone 2 to Worker 2, and so on.
    1. This is in our backlog but hasn't been added to the roadmap or a release.  With the new Lasso tool that is coming later this month; it will make this easier; since you can trace around the Zone to select the features or assignments.
  3. It would also be nice to be able to query features or related tables to create assignments.  For example;  select hydrants that haven't been painted in last 10 years....
    1. This is in our backlog and is in the roadmap. It's one of the items we'll look to tackle after Workforce has migrated into Field Maps.

Craig