Create an Assignment without an existing XY

09-12-2018 04:30 PM
deleted-user-8TVt6oc0ewsX
Occasional Contributor

Is there a workflow where I can create an assignment and have the worker capture the XY?  Something like a combination of Survery123 (capture XY) and Workforce (track the work performed).  We are doing sign installation and the worker doesn't know the exact location of the sign until they are in the vicinity.

1) worker receives assignment via Workforce

2) worker drives to vicinity

3) worker installs sign and captures accurate XY via Collector (or Survey123)

4) worker marks job "complete" via Workforce

XY is captured and mapped.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Jonathan,

It's an interesting request and not one that we've heard of before.  This is not possible in Workforce and it's not in our Roadmap to support.

I'd suggest using Collector (or Survey) to create the location of the sign installation.  The assignment in Workforce is the request to install the sign, and if the Worker needs to add information on where the sign was installed, they could describe it in the Notes to compliment the creation of the feature in Collector.

Craig

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Craig, is there a workflow where a user can receive an assignment in Workforce, track the work in Workforce but use COLLECTOR to adjust the location?

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Jonathan,

Yes, you can edit Assignments in Collector, but we don't generally advise it and do not test this workflow.

Craig

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

You're correct, that blog post talks about creating assignments using Collector, which is something recommend doing.

However, and correct me if I've misunderstood what you're asking, you want to edit existing assignments in Collector.  Again, that is possible but it's not something we recommend.

Again, if I've misunderstood what you're asking for, please let me know.

thanks, Craig

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the assignment would be created in Workforce but I want to use Collector to collect (update) the correct XY for the locations.  I would think other organizations might want to use Workforce in this manner to do work where the precise XY is not known or not defined  (e.g. install something in an area where the worker needs to find the best spot) then update the XY once the location is defined.  Could Collector be used in this way?