Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple database connections work in basemap but won't load in production

04-04-2014 07:14 AM
MatthewDeaton
Deactivated User
I have a basemap created for my jobs containing multiple database connections:

segmenteditor (this is the user connection)
gisreader

both connections point to versioned data but only the segmenteditor needs to edit its data.  The gisreader connection just needs to view.  When the basemap loads both connections and their data load just fine.   When I create a job in WFM and start editing the job the gisreader connection is removed/replaced with a segmenteditor connection and version of the other segmenteditor connection.

Why does it work in the basemap but won't work in the job?

thanks in advance
Matt
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Matt,

Just to confirm your situation...

You have authored a basemap and inside some of the layers come from a data editor connection and some from a gis reader connection, but when you use the Launch Arcmap step with the data workspace set as the Editor connection it repoints the editor layers to the correct version AND it also repoints the Reader layers allowing a user to edit those layers? Am I getting this correct?

If this is the case, then this is the expected behavior. When it changes the connection information it doesn't take into account how the source layers were authored. It checks whether the Data Workspace connection has permission to access the layer in the db, and if so repoints it using the Data Workspace credentials.

You have a couple options...
    - You could change the permissions on the gis reader layers so that the editor can't see them. They'll stay as they were authored in the basemap in this case.
    - You can turn off selectability on all the gis reader layers in the basemap.

Please let me know if I've captured the situation correctly, and if not I'd be happy to work with you further to correct your issue.

Cheers,
Michael
0 Kudos