licence key issues

04-20-2010 07:47 AM
Margaret-RoseSpyker
New Contributor
Hello Tope,

I have been given the registration key for plts and jtx from our license manager, but cannot find where to enter it. My workstation uses a floating license for ArcView (9.3.1), and when I try to access under desktop administrator the middle option "I have already registered the software and need to register additional ArGIS extensions" is gray-ed out and cannot be selected. Opening jtx from my start menu draws the error message "all of the available jtx extension licenses are currently in use," and the same when I try to enable the extension. I know that no licenses are in use, and my administrator is doubtful the license has timed out.

Thanks,
Margaret
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Margaret-RoseSpyker
New Contributor
ps, I received the same error message when I tried to install an earlier version and run it on info 3.3
0 Kudos
Margaret-RoseSpyker
New Contributor
pps I do have an ECP number for the jtx, but there is no option to select the jtx product in the product registration window at ESRI customer service
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
you need to install the new license manager with the beta or Pre Release, first.  You can't add a PLTS 10 license to a license manager for 931.  so, for testing purposes perhaps on the machine  that you have 10 installed

Plus when you have the updated license manager, there should be options for each placement of each extension, if these extension are not listed, then select other, and add it yourself

or is this all 931 that you are doing
0 Kudos
Margaret-RoseSpyker
New Contributor
I'm all 931 at this point, although I have considered experimenting with 10 beta. Also, I've been considering getting IMS/Server up and running to see if that helps the situation, as the only code I have for manual entry is a jtx server code. I am still not able to enable jtx desktop, even though it should be in with my floater for 931. Alternately, I'm about to resort to scripting, but I already know i would prefer the use of the job tracking gui when I finally get into the thick of it.

Any continued thoughts would be appreciated, and I will perhaps try to contact Amber B in the event that I'm without resolution in the near future.

All the Best,
Margaret
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Margaret,

ArcGIS Workflow Manager / Job Tracking for ArcGIS requires a minimum ArcEditor license for it to work. If you've already updated the license manager to use an updated license file that contains/authorizes the JTX feature, then you will simply need to use the Desktop Administrator to change the level of license you are using to either ArcEditor or ArcInfo. Once you do this, try to use the JTX tools and let me know if things work.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
Margaret-RoseSpyker
New Contributor
Thank you Tope for your response,

My computer runs the 931 Info Floater as default, and I have also tried installing a 3.3 Info workstation as well to see if the older version of jtx can get past this licence issue. My desktop administrator doesn't show jtx in either licence list, and I can select the extension in arctools>extensions but instantly alerted that the licences "are in use." My licence manager (the actual person) doesn't think the licence needs to be updated because it was updated in March of this year (just a few weeks before I began trying to work with jtx). Perhaps I am not correctly phrasing my request to update the licence server to contain/authorize the jtx feature. Could you possibly help me to identify where/what specifically he needs to do to updated so that the jtx shows on my list of available extensions in desktop administrator? Perhaps this will help solve what I am starting to identify as an in-house communication error, as process of elimination has debunked a variety of alternate error producing possibilities.

Thanks again for your support,
Margaret
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Margaret,

The license file you would have received when you upgraded to ArcInfo 9.3.1 may not have contained the JTX feature in it. There is a known issue with the desktop administrator, where the Job Tracking Extension does not get listed as part of your available features. This issue will be resolved in the next release. Currently the way to confirm that you do have an authorization file that contains JTX, is to open the license file (EFL9) in notepad and do a search for JTX. The other option is to have the license manager (actual person) run a server status inquiry on the license server to get a summary of features that are authorized. This will let you know if you need to request a new license file from customer service.

Let me know what you find out.
Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
Margaret-RoseSpyker
New Contributor
Thank you Tope for your helpful response. It was quite a relief to hear that jtx not showing up is a known issue, as I presume is the source of my problem as well. I am (still) waiting for my license manager to get a summary of authorized features, and in the interim have resorted to scripting and geoprocessing. I suspect that 10 will be released before my in house communication issue is resolved, but I just wanted to give some resolution to this thread. I'll be sure to let you know if my assumptions are confirmed, or perhaps even when I am having success with jtx in 10. Thanks again for helping me get to the bottom of my issue.

All the best,
Margaret
0 Kudos