ArcGIS Workflow Manager 11.0/3.0 - Unable to create new Workflow Item

Jump to solution
08-24-2022 03:12 AM
JosephSia2
New Contributor III

I've set up a new deployment ArcGIS enterprise with workflow manager. It's currently using a self signed certificate. I've run into an issue where the Workflow Manager indicates that it's unable to create new Workflow items (attached) but the logs in ArcGIS server does not indicate any errors. Has anyone also run into these issues? I'm using ArcGIS Enterprise 11.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JosephSia2
New Contributor III

Updating this for closure. I was using the Azure Enterprise Builder to create my baseline deployment. I've found that the configuration of the baseline deployment does not work for workflow manager by default Additional cloud configurations need to be done to the cloud infrastructure for it to work.

Have not had time to work out the details have since moved on. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosephSia2
New Contributor III

Just a quick update in case anyone else has the same issue.

The steps I took to get to this state as follows:

1. Run ArcGIS Azure Resource Manager to set up a single machine enterprise site
  2. Create firewall in and out rules for port 13443
  3. Install ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server
  4. Authorize ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server
  5. Restart machine
  6. Access Portal
  7. Assign ArcGIS Workflow Manager Role to Portal User
  8. Access ArcGIS Workflow Manager as authorized user
  9. Activate ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server Role
  10. Launch ArcGIS Workflow Manager
  11. Select create new item
  12. "Unable to create new Item" error is displayed

Am dropping the use of the latest version of Workflow Manager 11 and might try the classic version instead as the job I'm trying to get done was due yesterday. 

0 Kudos
RobertSmith1
Esri Contributor

Hello @JosephSia2

Thank you for your question and for thoroughly documenting the steps you took.  I followed your steps to reproduce the issue and got the same results, and I believe the issue may have been caused when the machine was restarted.  When restarting the machine, it’s normally also necessary to also restart the Workflow Manager service.  If that’s the case then restarting your Workflow Manager service may resolve this, as it did for me when testing. 

Normally, restarting the machine shouldn’t be necessary when installing Workflow Manager.  When authorizing ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server, ArcGIS Server should immediately recognize the updated licensing.  If you have questions or run into issues feel free to post here again or consult the Installation and Deployment page of our documentation.

Best regards,

Robert Smith

0 Kudos
JosephSia2
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Happened to have some time so decided to test again. Have provided a minor update to the original post with a video cap. I've also done additional poking around and have found that the following error is generated on the browser when "Create new workflow Item" is clicked. Did I miss anything?

0 Kudos
JosephSia2
New Contributor III

Updating this for closure. I was using the Azure Enterprise Builder to create my baseline deployment. I've found that the configuration of the baseline deployment does not work for workflow manager by default Additional cloud configurations need to be done to the cloud infrastructure for it to work.

Have not had time to work out the details have since moved on. Thanks.

0 Kudos