Adding Field to Workflow Manager Table

11-20-2018 07:03 PM
NaufalIhsan1
New Contributor II

Hello,

Another question about workflow manager. Is it okay to add a field to one of Workflow Manager Tables (e.g. JTX_JOBS or JTX_JOB_TYPES table)? Is there any drawback will be happened either in the desktop version or in the server version?

Regards,
Naufal

0 Kudos
6 Replies
deleted-user-59NIbCq7H8Ve
New Contributor II

My recommendation would be not to tamper with the JTX_ system tables. Those are managed by ArcGIS.

The question is what type of information you would like to add? Have a look at the extended property mechanism. 

That is the out-of-the-box functionality available to add custom attributes. Extended property attributes are stored in a custom table and linked to your job by a job id link field.

Hope this helps!

Laurens

NaufalIhsan1
New Contributor II

Hi Laurens. There are 2 information I want to add:
1. The percentage of a job to the entire process of workflow. So far, workflow manager only can monitor the percentage for each job, but not for the entire workflow. So i would like to add the percentage of every job types to the entire process of workflow.
2. I want to add a field which will determine whether the job is on time or not. Actually, workflow manager client already provide that information by showing "pending days." However, i can't find where is the "pending days" information stored in the database.

I've tried using extended properties. However, since i also want to add a new field in JTX_JOB_TYPES table, i think extended properties can't fulfill my needs.

Regards,
Naufal

0 Kudos
deleted-user-59NIbCq7H8Ve
New Contributor II

In short, would you like to report over multiple jobs? Then I would suggest you look at the reporting functionality.

With SQL queries you can dynamically present information about multiple jobs.

Moreover the pending days will change over time, if you want to store this information as a value in a table you would have to update it every day. A report query or database view would be a better alternative.

0 Kudos
NaufalIhsan1
New Contributor II

Hi Laurens.

Sadly, I am not really good with SQL Queries . But thanks for the advice, i will check the reporting functionality.

As for the pending days information, actually, i only want to determine the difference between the end date (when the job is closed) and the due date (the job's deadline). Although, yes, i have to run a field calculator every time a job is closed to get the number.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Naufal,

We don't encourage adding fields to the existing Workflow Manager tables as it can result in corruption and at the very least puts you in an unsupported state.

I think what you actually need to explore is the concept of the parent/child relationship. You need to make a parent job type (A) that you can associate all the jobs from this particular job type you're interested in (B). You can then report on B as a function of all the underlying A jobs, and even add the A jobs into a workflow for B as dependencies to help cement the relationships.

If this doesn't resonate I'd be interested in learning more about the particular use case you're trying to solve

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
NaufalIhsan1
New Contributor II

Hi Michael,
I think the parent/child relationship will not solve the problem (I've tried before).

The goals is, i want to determine how many percentage does a job give to the whole work process. Since workflow manager only give the percentage for each job, my idea is to add new field to define the "weight" of a job to the whole work process (the whole percentage will be complete percentage of a job * the weight of the job).

So far, I've added a new field to the JTX_JOB_TYPES, and it is turned out to be fine. However, if you have any other way to reach the aforementioned goals, i'm open to any suggestions.

Regards,
Naufal

0 Kudos