Select to view content in your preferred language

Make web editor available to Mobile Workers

07-01-2024 11:53 PM
RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

I can't see the rationale behind making the web editor only available to Creators and higher. Anyone with a Creator licence already has access to ArcGIS Pro where they can edit their data with the full suite of desktop tools. The real beneficiaries of Web Editor will be Mobile Workers who have been out in the field and are potentially limited by Field Maps editing tools, and wish to tidy up their data when they are back in the office.

The Creator licence type is there for those who wish to create actual content i.e. hosted feature layers, webmaps, dashboards etc. not for those who simply wish to edit existing data.

Please reconsider the restrictive licencing of what, on the the face of it, seems like a really useful addition!

17 Comments
kinodmer

Mobile first development. You basically make the website for a mobile device first and then you change it at different pixel breakpoints so you may go from mobile to minimum screen width 720 to 1080 to 1920. Tailwind has a few defaults for how they go about this that might make more sense than what I put https://9apps.ooo/.

RichardHowe

@kinodmer I think you misunderstand me. "Mobile Worker" is a licence type. As it stands those with that type of licence aren't allowed access to the Web Editor via ArcGIS Online. I just want that changed

SimonRoy1

While the new Web Editor is a great addition (we were looking for this for a long time), I was also really suprised that it can't be used by mobile workers. They would be the main users in our workflows as well.

I strongly support your suggestion.

AmySteiger

Our main use case is also for mobile workers. These are SMEs but not desktop GIS savvy. They capture info in the field and we want them to verify or update in it in the office without a desktop GIS license. We want to offer self service mapping for them.

PeterBirch_NSTA

Sounds like a no brainer to me, field based staff can capture whilst out and about then tidy up and verify back in the office.

This would make the Web Editor a much more appealing product for more organisations.

ElisabethFenn

yes! web editor would be so much more useful if it was available to mobile workers.

GISAdminSHN

The Web Editor should be unlocked for Mobile Worker and Collaborator, as both of those user types have data editing privileges. It's a real head-scratcher why we even have to bring this up here, those are the user types that actually needed this update!

LarryYoung

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback on this topic.  We put a lot of thought into the user type requirement for Web Editor, but are receiving a lot of responses based on the decision.  The basic thinking is we will offer much more with Web Editor than we have before for editing on the web which translates into a higher license requirement.

As we consider your feedback, was wondering if you could elaborate on why you are advocating for mobile worker as the minimum user type for Web Editor?  Is the plan to have your users edit in the field with Field Maps and then come back to the office and clean the data up with Web Editor?  The expectation is not to use Web Editor in the field on a phone is it?

Thanks, larry

JonathanMcD

@RichardHowe 

Got a thumbs up from me, but before it goes mobile I'd like to see some improvements in its functionality - it's a bit there but not there at the moment.

As for licensing, even the recent role changes have not really helped. We're Enterprise but only have Creators and Viewers, all defined by roles... it's a wee bit frustrating that the "Professional" user isn't at least one user in an Ent AGOL. Oh how I'd like to access the print templates.... but I digress.

GISAdminSHN

@LarryYoung many field workers are authoritative over the data they are collecting and need the ability to review and make clean up edits from a desktop monitor (rather than poking their mobile device screens at their desk), which the Web Editor is perfect aligned to. A Collaborator (previously Editor) would have similar tasking, but without access to the field mobile apps. Currently there is a burden on Creators to develop and customize the web apps needed for those users, esentially re-creating the experience you have refined in Web Editor. Now that Web Editor is a thing that exists, it is highly frustrating to still have to expend the effort configuring and rolling out instant Sidebar apps when we could just have those user-types launch Web Editor from the already shared map's item description page. Heck, even if it was a water-down version just to make you guys feel like you weren't over-delivering for those lowly peasants!

My last $0.02, those user types have editing privileges already. a basic built-in, no-config-needed editing interface (Web Editor Essential Edition?) for them to do their basic review and editing tasks would show the appropriate amount of respect for the extremely valuable time of your higher-license-purchasing admins and managers!

Thanks for you reply and hope you can relay these thoughts in a way that benefits the customer. I should also note that if the feature was included I would already be buying more user type licenses, you may relay that as well! 😉