ZScaler Affecting WAB Apps

04-04-2017 10:32 AM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Our organization has implemented ZScaler security across the internal environment and it seems to intermittently affect our WAB deployments.  Our WAB apps are built with WAB Developer v2.3 (the non-"hosted" WAB developer) and deployed to our own IIS or JBOSS servers, which of course have items referenced on our Organizational AGOL account and their redirect url's pointing to where the WAB is deployed.

There is no issue with the workflow where a user must go to our AGOL site, login, locate the WAB application and then launch/open it.  The problem is when we are opening the WAB app from a hyperlink or from some other web-based application -- the blue startup screen of the WAB app will appear but it never loads, I suspect because it cannot validate authentication.

It seems to be totally random for some and a rare occurrence for others.  However it never fails to happen during demo's and presentations!

The solution has been to clear the browser cache, navigate to some other site and invoke the ZScaler login challenge.  After this is completed the WAB app will then launch from the link as originally intended. 

This however is not an acceptable workflow and I'm hoping to find some alternative solutions: is there some setting on ZScaler that can be applied?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

desperation bump to the top.

0 Kudos
GisGKAuckland
New Contributor III

If you implemented ZSecurity or similar packages, every click on their infrastructure, will go through their algorithms. with a return call to the original page.

Two ways if I were you

1. Tone down your webapp with minimal data if it repeats. If it fails you have option2

2. Talk with the security company

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the input!  ....I think  

0 Kudos
BillChappell
Occasional Contributor II

I feel your pain, I work for NY State and they love Zscaler. 99% of the complains I get about my web apps are Zscaler errors, i.e."why doesn't the background map show". I found if I use Chrome and go to Google.com it will cause me to log in, and it's good for a day.

When I moved to windows 10, Firefox became unusable with it. To use Python pip or clone from github I needed to use a proxy to get them to work. 

AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor

2024 - Zscaler is blocking data published from our ArcGIS Server within an app on our AGOL. Any one have any ideas since this post in 2017? Thank you!

0 Kudos