working in two locations - package code

Jump to solution
06-11-2015 04:24 PM
LefterisKoumis
Occasional Contributor III

When I was coding in Flex, I was able to package the libraries and code (export flash builder project)  in a single file (fxp) at work and import in at home's flash builder to continue working on my projects.

Is there are any similar process with WAB? Can I install WAB at two locations and copy the app folder from one location to paste it at another location to continue working on my project?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lefteris,

In the main WAB home page there is a triple ellipse button on the far right of each of you apps when you click there there is a download option. Once you have downloaded your app from your one machine (the download is a zip), you should be able to take that zip to the other machine and click the import button on the home page of your other WAB machine and choose "Import from computer" and point to that zip file.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lefteris,

Sure copying the app folder to another location is a legitimate workflow as long as you keep them in sync some how.

0 Kudos
LefterisKoumis

I tested that. Unfortunately, after I copied the app folder, the app is not showing in the WAB developer listing of apps. I also tried to zip it and import it, but it says invalid app.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

First, to register two machines with the same web app (to be able to install with with teh same WebID) look at Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed   I talk about having multiple "redirects", i.e. machines.

I don't know about a simple way to package and resync (I'll leave others to chime in on the virtues of github and subversion), but I know just copying the directories as a whole, works.  I have used multiple machines to work on the same project....but I don't have a smooth workflow.

We have a similar conversation going, but with sharing and collaborating with others, which is another level of complexity to the multiple machines.  Sharing Web AppBuilder apps with multiple users

0 Kudos
JunshanLiu

Does the download and upload workflow satisfy your requirement?

LefterisKoumis

Can you elaborate?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lefteris,

In the main WAB home page there is a triple ellipse button on the far right of each of you apps when you click there there is a download option. Once you have downloaded your app from your one machine (the download is a zip), you should be able to take that zip to the other machine and click the import button on the home page of your other WAB machine and choose "Import from computer" and point to that zip file.

OwenEarley

I haven't done this with WAB, but for C# projects I use Visual Studio Online source control and it works well. I can work on code on my main desktop machine, check it into source control and then get the latest revisions on my laptop. Laptop revisions can be checked in the same way. Version control systems have the added benefit of being able to revert to an earlier version of a file. Using GitHub or any other source control system would be a similar experience.

The only issue in my situation is the laptop does not have some of the drive mappings that the desktop does so I sometimes need to point code to test data on a different drive. You could get around this by putting test data into source control as well but some of my projects generate a lot of data so it is easier to change the drive path.

When copying folders, you generally end up with multiple copies of the source all over the place making it difficult to track changes and versions.

0 Kudos