Will ESRI start using Bootstrap and jQuery for WAB?

Jump to solution
03-02-2015 10:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bootstrap and jQuery would probably allow for a lot more power for the custom widget developers and save time. I know it can be brought in but it would be nice if ESRI adopted Bootstrap and jQuery, both of which are just amazing. They have made so many complicated things possible for a beginner like me, and jQuery UI and bootstrap make stuff just so slick. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kevin,

As a developer you can absolutely use them, but have even a small third party library added as part of the default build is not what I would want. The whole jimu things is a internal esri name space that esri Beijing developed when creating WAB so you probably won't find much about it on Google.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kevin,

My Opinion is that using those are up to the developer and the extra size and weight of those should not be added by default.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

Your perspective as a widget developer is valuable, thank you. I was actually just curious, because I had assumed it was bootstrap from the "look" of it with the top bar looking like a Nav Bar. Then I looked at F12, and noticed this "jimu" thing, which is hard to find out what it actually is on the Internet. In fact, I Googled and all I came up with is this company, which makes no mention of it...http://jimulabs.com/ ​I guess it is a framework, perhaps created solely for ESRI?

Bootstrap and jQuery are small btw. And they load async, with AMD, have minified builds, etc. jQuery file size They seem fast on my Galaxy Note 3 and i7 laptop, but I am aware those are high-spec machines. Maybe Bootstrap mulches older spec systems?   I'm still excited about it though, I 'discovered' Bootstrap and jQuery last year and I am continually amazed how easy it makes things would be otherwise so hard for a GIS Analyst turned Programmer to figure out!!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kevin,

As a developer you can absolutely use them, but have even a small third party library added as part of the default build is not what I would want. The whole jimu things is a internal esri name space that esri Beijing developed when creating WAB so you probably won't find much about it on Google.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This makes sense. Thank you for explaining.

0 Kudos