Where the data is stored ?

Jump to solution
03-10-2017 06:23 AM
SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone,

As I know, When using arcGIS Online, your layers are stored on the hosted servers of it, On Portal for ArcGIS, they are stored on your ArcGIS for server but what's for ArcGIS Online when using WAB developer edition ?? I know it uses a webserver but It's NOT a geoserver that it can host geographic data !!

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS‌ Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets

best reagards,

Sara

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Yes.  Moving the app to a local machine and Internet server should not change your paths for a AGOL web map.   If you add additional data "on-the-fly" or when the app is running, I do not know where that is stored, but if that is what you are asking, someone else may be able to answer this.

in addition, I know you have had other questions regarding adding/editing data.  Again, I believe that would depend on the location of the source you are editing.  But since I have not done editing with WAB, I can answer that (but hopefully someone has on the other thread)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you reference and use a web map as your only source for WAB developer edition, whether from an Online or Portal, the data would be where ever the data is for the map.  In other words, the lication of the data source does not change.

there is a  Local layer widget   That will let you reference services on your ArcGIS server, and other widgets that will allow you to add other types of data when running.  Check you the custom widget list for other possible options.

Also, a hint, since I know you are new to geonet, make sure to mark help comments, a final answer (if one exists) so threads can be closed. 

SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

thanks Rebecca for answering, I am not working with arcGIS server,

If we are supposing that I created an app on arcgis online then registred it to continue working with it on localhost then on a webserver, ANY layers I'll add on the app will be stored on arcgis online ?  'the data would be where ever the data is for the map' Is this what you mean by your sentence ?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Yes.  Moving the app to a local machine and Internet server should not change your paths for a AGOL web map.   If you add additional data "on-the-fly" or when the app is running, I do not know where that is stored, but if that is what you are asking, someone else may be able to answer this.

in addition, I know you have had other questions regarding adding/editing data.  Again, I believe that would depend on the location of the source you are editing.  But since I have not done editing with WAB, I can answer that (but hopefully someone has on the other thread)

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

Just wanted to add to Rebecca Strauch, GISP‌'s comments,

> If you reference and use a web map as your only source for WAB developer edition, whether from an Online or Portal, the data would be where ever the data is for the map.  In other words, the location of the data source does not change.

> Moving the app to a local machine and Internet server should not change your paths for a AGOL web map.

Both of these statements are 100% correct.

> If you add additional data "on-the-fly" or when the app is running ...

The data is not "stored" anywhere in ArcGIS Online, I'm pretty sure they're just referenced in-memory for the duration of the app session.

Hope this helps,