WebAppBuilder – Questions Regarding how to allow many editors when we are using our own server.

Jump to solution
06-29-2015 01:52 PM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We currently have several flex viewer applications, and I would like to consider upgrading to the new WebAppBuilder.  However, I am confused about the webAppBuilder and its integration with ArcGIS Online.  I have several questions about the Web App Builder:

Users:  With the flex viewer we manage users on our own server.  If I wanted to I could set up hundreds of different users.  Now with ArcGIS Online it appears that I am limited to 8 users.  Is there a way that I can continue to manage users via ArcGIS Server, and not ArcGIS Online?

Site url:  I would prefer our url to by http://gis.myorginization.org, not http://myorginization.arcgis.com.  Is that possible with the new map builders?  

Application location:  I want my maps and applications on my server for a couple reasons. 

1) I don’t want my applications to be dependent on a 3rd party site.

2) No offence, but I don’t want ESRI to be aware of each and every map and app I create.  I realize that webcrawlers out there that can find public maps, but we have some data that is secure and we do NOT allow secure data to be exposed on a 3rd party site. 

3) Backups.  I prefer to create a backup of my entire GIS server for a certain date.  As far as I am aware, there is no way to backup ArcGIS Online or restore applications to a certain date.

Webapp builder relationship with ArcGIS Online: Will ESRI support site based ArcGIS Server applications, or is everything going to be dependent on ArcGIS Online?  I did notice there is a developer edition of ArcGIS Online, but even that asks for our organizations ArcGIS Online url. 

Conclusion:  I need a mapping system that allows me to build apps quickly, keep everything on my server (maps and data), and allow us to set up as many users as I want.  ArcGIS Online is great for organizations that do not have a server, but I wonder if ESRI realizes that this over integration between ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server is really constricting ArcGIS Server users.  If I cannot continue to create apps on my own server, keep them on my server, set up permissions as I see fit, then I may abandon ArcGIS Server.   What are other people doing?  Is there a way to create apps using the webappbuilder and not be dependent on ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Mark,

To answer one question,

Site url: This is a link to one of my demo sites. I have used Web AppBuilder developer edition. What you can do is download the app after you have configured it using developer and deploy it on your system. It then would have whatever name your server does.

gis.ashland.or.us

Other questions:

There is an widget in developer edition that allows you to directly import layers from your server. It is called the LocalLayer widget.  I use this on layers that I do not want visible on ArcGIS Online. I do not host any data on ArcGIS Online.

I am not sure if you have seen these but they are great resources.

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Mark,

To answer one question,

Site url: This is a link to one of my demo sites. I have used Web AppBuilder developer edition. What you can do is download the app after you have configured it using developer and deploy it on your system. It then would have whatever name your server does.

gis.ashland.or.us

Other questions:

There is an widget in developer edition that allows you to directly import layers from your server. It is called the LocalLayer widget.  I use this on layers that I do not want visible on ArcGIS Online. I do not host any data on ArcGIS Online.

I am not sure if you have seen these but they are great resources.

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mark,

I use the local layer widget on my main WAB site and I don't worry with AGOL expect to define the initial web map that gets overwritten by the local layer widget. I don't have the need for the most part for named users so I don't have much input there. As Rickey mentioned the apps location (URL) is easy to keep on your own server along with all of your data using the Local Layer Widget or just using AGOL web map (just because the web map is hosted on AGOL (which is basically some JSON that points to your data on your ArcGIS Server if you wish), does not mean that your data has to be copied to AGOL. If you have any more questions or you need further clarification do hesitate to post again.

MarkVolz

Robert,

Thank you for your reply. Where might I find the local layer widget?

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Lyon County GIS Coordinator

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mark, the Local Layer widget and many other custom widgets are in the Resource List document Rickey linked to above.  

0 Kudos
MarkVolz

Hello,

I was able to load the local layer widget and add some of my own data. Now for the next step… Is it possible to edit data on my own server?

Thank you for all the help!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mark,

Sure if you have a FeatureService published. Just use the edit widget.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mark,

Here is the github link:

cmndrbensisko/LocalLayer · GitHub

MarkVolz

Rickey, Robert, and Rebecca,

Thank you for all your help.  I was able to add my own layers directly from the server, edit feature service layers using ArcGIS Server credentials, etc..  It would be useful if local layers was standard with the web app builder.

Just a couple notes for others:

When adding a layer to edit make sure you drill down all the way to the service layer such as

https://mygisserver.com/arcgis/rest/services/folder/map/service/featureserver/0

I at first was not able to see secure layers on the final map.  I was asked for credentials, but nothing happened.  It turns out that most browsers complain about self signed certificates.  I was able to first go to https://mygisserver.com/arcgis/rest/services/folder/map/service/featureserver/0 then add a security exception to that page, then go back to the map and everything worked as expected.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks for the notes, Mark.  I'll look thru my tip docs/blogs and make sure I have that is noted clearly (or clearer).

0 Kudos