WebApp builder (basically everything) crashed. Please help!

Jump to solution
07-08-2015 11:17 AM
TaN
by
New Contributor II

I was trying to create a custom in-panel widget using the online tutorial (Create a custom in-panel widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developer...​). I didn't succeed with Step 8. But I went ahead, skipped to step 10, and deployed my widget. I got an error that said: "create widget error: widgets/MyWidget/Widget". I tried tweaking stuff around in Widget.js and Widget.html files. And nothing worked. When I tried to reload my WebApp builder page, I kept getting this crash page:

Screenshot 2015-07-08 14.08.38.png

I also get this same message when I try to load my web app viewer (demo json) page

MyWidget seemed to work pretty well a few hours ago (it showed up as a widget in my WebApp Builder before everything crashed)

Screenshot 2015-07-08 12.09.58.png

Here are My Widget files, please help!!!!!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

The JS API use Dojo as its main library so learning JS API teaches you dojo and AMD programming patterns. The link in your post is not something I would spend time on if you do not plan to build JS API widgets (those are different from WAB Widget, in many ways). I would recommend finding a good JS IDE and getting a good linter for that IDE. I use Brackets with the interactive linter plug-in. the interactive linter shows me little mistakes like the missing commas and semicolons.

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Ultimately, I want to create a web app that will let teachers type in their school name, select a certain radius

(ie 0.5 miles) and generate a buffer or some way to indicate nearby outdoor locations that teachers can take their kids. The map would zoom on the school and those locations (with pop-ups) would be highlighted in some way.

I wanted to build a widget right into WAB to serve this purpose. I just found your Enhanced Search widget (this one: ArcGIS Web Application ) and I think something like this would work really well for my project. How can I start learning to build a widget similar to the one you made? What language(s)/ API & programming experience should I start learning?

Thank you for clarifying my questions! I just installed Brackets and used the extension manager to install the interactive Linter (MIguel Castillo).

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

If you are wanting to use WAB and NOT build a custom JS API app from scratch then definitely stick with building a WAB Widget.

What you need to learn to build a WAB widget is the same as leaning dojo and the JS API.

The JS API is built using Dojo and the WAB is built using the JS API and thus also Dojo.

The advantage of building a WAB widget is that there is a framework for your widgets UI and the main app already built for you, where as JS API you would start from scratch and build you app and widget from the ground up. The advantage of using the JS API custom app is you build your app to only do what you want it to do, where as WAB is a large configurable app that has alot of stuff already built in that you may not need and requires you to use a webmap from AGOL.

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I just saw your reply after I edited my question. Thank you for your prompt response! I will start familiarizing myself with dojo and the JS API. I also took the liberty of downloading your eSearch.zip (ArcGIS Web Application thank you for uploading it!) Your eSearch widget is amazing!!!! I'd like to be able to make something similar to it, but it'll probably takes ages for me to learn.

TA

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

I'm starting to learn Dojo using the online documentation. I downloaded Apache using XAMPP for Windows. How do I create a directory in my web server? (as per instructions found at the beginning of this tutorial: Hello, World! — The Dojo Toolkit - Reference Guide)

Thank you for your help!

TA

0 Kudos