Web AppBuilder Initial Extent

11-15-2022 12:09 PM
NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

In general, I have noticed that web applications built using ArcGIS Online and WAB Developer Edition both have the following problem.  If you set the initial extent of the app on one machine, the app may be zoomed in or out one level of detail on another machine.  I've seen this so many times and I believe it is due to differing aspect ratios of the monitors.  My monitor has a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm the odd man out.

Intuitively, the app zoom level should be the largest LOD that completely displays the initial extent.  If the map does not contain the initial extent, then something is wrong.  If it is zoomed out unnecessarily far, then something is wrong.

This seems like it should be a well-known issue.  Could anyone please explain it at a detailed technical level?  I think it may have to do with the fixed LODs of WAB.

3 Replies
DEWright_CA

Usually it defaults to the initial zoom setting as set in the WebMap; or the specifically defined initial view from the WebMap.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD

Yes, I explicitly set it as either the web map extent or the current map extent in the builder, but it won't zoom to that extent on other machines.  It may not be the aspect ratio.  It may be the height.  It's like it doesn't accurately understand that the extent it's supposed to display is not completely visible.

Here's what I mean.  The app below was just refreshed.  It is on my machine where I configured the web app, but the browser window was made smaller.  The map features are cut off.

NathanHeickLACSD_0-1668544562504.png

When fully maximized on my machine, it looks like this.  I understand the browser window may change size, but I would think the initial app extent should always be visible on load.

NathanHeickLACSD_2-1668544935591.png

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA
Have you had them clear cache/cookies? There is also a setting in WAB/EXB to save last extent.
0 Kudos