Web AppBuilder Edit Widget behavior - labels and attributes

04-07-2015 03:55 PM
MatthewStarry
New Contributor III

I have a point layer that I want to edit only the attributes. I set my point layer up in ArcMap and published to a hosted feature service. I set labels up in the map. Why didn't the labels come over in the service? 

In ArcGIS Online, I created a web map with my point feature service. I set labels up in the web map. I created a web app using Web AppBuilder and my web map and added the Edit Widget. I launched the application, clicked the edit widget and clicked a point. It grabbed the label. I could make all kinds of changes to the label but I could not edit the point attributes. Why?

Also, I set the attribute fields up how I wanted them in the web map but had to reconfigure the attributes in the Edit Widget in the web app. Why? I removed the labels in my web map and selected a point using the Edit Widget in my web app. The attributes do not respect the configuration I set in the web map (i.e. numeric values have decimal places and/or commas in the web app but not the web map) and I do not see anywhere to configure them in the Edit Widget or web app?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewStarry
New Contributor III

Ok. I read about labels and hosted feature services so you can ignore my questions on labels. I should stick to asking one question anyway.

My remaining question deals with how attributes are formatted in the Edit Widget. It seems like there is no way to control how attributes are displayed when editing even though they are configured in the web map.  Am I missing something?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matthew

I know it's a few months on since your post, but I am having a similar issue as of Oct 2015.

I have feature classes in a web map, placed into a web app using WAB from AGOL. Labels were created in AGOL defined within the web map.

When I click on a label, it selects the label not the feature, and all I can do is stretch, rotate and move the label (which of course, once you close the edit widget, just reverts back to what it was anyway). The main problem here is with point features where the symbology is only slightly larger than the label and the label is right on the center of the point (e.g. a circle with a label in it) - it will not allow you to actually access the feature itself! I.e. no pop-up for attributes, and no ability to move the point.

The only work-arounds I could find were to label offset (which doesn't look good for my use case), or to select the label, move it (also very hard since my labels are a single digit and the scaling handles get in the way), deselect all features using the icon on the edit widget, then select the feature - a major hassle!

For now I have labelled offset, but would love to hear any other feedback.

0 Kudos
MatthewStarry
New Contributor III

Web AppBuilder might work fine for creating a basic viewing app or story map but I have not had a good experience with trying to create a useful app for editing.

0 Kudos