Web AppBuilder Developer Edition or Web AppBuilder Portal

07-22-2017 08:19 PM
GerryGarza
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

My IT team and I have been going back and forth on which WAB version I should use to create user Web Apps. I have used both of the above for around five months and prefer the Developer Edition over the Portal version. The only reason IT wants me to go with the Portal version is because of the "friendly" URL it creates. I told them I prefer the DE version because it's updated four times per year, it has more tools available, and it seems to perform much better under load. Does anyone else think that it's faster than the embedded Portal version?

Thanks,

Gerry

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

Been doing that with Notepad ++. I have VS Code, will try it there so compare.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

Hi.

Portal assistant cannot replicate web apps... however, in 10.5.1 I do believe you can export and import.

WABde is meant for a web server not for Portal anyways, hence why WABde wouldnt work for portal assistant.

I have moved web apps from portal to portal but that is manual file tinkering on the file level to make that happen.  Had started doing .net scripts for it... for a promoting package of server services, data, web maps and web apps and IIS settings but it seems to be a never ending side project...

0 Kudos
AmyKlug

Out of curiosity, how to you access the files for an in-Portal web app?

0 Kudos
GerryGarza
Occasional Contributor

Hi Amy,

If you have created Web Apps using WAB within ArcGIS Online, the Portal WAB is very similar to that experience. We store all data in SQL enterprise geodatabases that are registered through the Portal Data Store.

Regards,

Gerry

0 Kudos
AdamChavez1
New Contributor II

WAB Within ArcGIS Portal is a very good tool for quick and simple web applications.

You can EXPORT your site out of the portal and make customizations afterwards/migrate the application to a different App Server, but your base WAB application is still stored within your portal if you ever needed to go back.

WABDE is great if you have the understanding - and need to have fully customized or integrated systems and you have a version/code control system already in place to document your changes.

0 Kudos