Web Appbuilder 1.2 failed to connect to portal

Jump to solution
09-18-2015 04:35 PM
PavlinStaikov
New Contributor II

I tried recently to use the Web Appbuilder 1.2 with Portal 10.3.1. I followed the instructions carefully for registering the appbuilder as an app in the portal and trying to run it afterwards. In fact I tried the procedure several times to make sure that I am not missing something. Each time I get the error:

The portal is setup with IWA. I enter the APP ID of the registered appbuilder, then the browser prompts me and I enter my own credentials. The problem comes up when the following call is made:

........./arcgisportal/sharing/portals/self?f=json&token=wrFh0..................

My guess is that the server is challenging the client with the headers:

1. WWW-Authenticate:Negotiate
  2. WWW-Authenticate:NTLM

but the rest call somehow cannot handle the challenge. If I open the same request in a different tab, then I get the expected json, probably because the browser knows how to handle and respond to the challenge. Is it possible the there is a bug in the appbuilder that makes it not handle properly the built-in windows authentication?

Here is are the details of the failed request:

Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PavlinStaikov
New Contributor II

Jianxia,

Thanks for your response. It did give me an idea to look for problems with the server authentication setup and of course I found one which fixed the issue. Indeed it sounds like a good idea to update the documentation to explicitly state that IWA would not prompt for App ID. That may save some developers from going the wrong path while troubleshooting their connections.

Thanks again!

Pavlin

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Pavlin,

AppID is not required if WAB dev edition connects to Portal with IWA security. You should not see the text box asking you to fill in the appId when starting the builder at the first time. Could you confirm that you are accessing IWA portal?

Meanwhile, we will modify the get started doc to cover the scenarios of connecting to a portal with IWA/PKI/LDAP securities.

Which browser are you using? IE8 and IE9 do not support WAB accessing IWA portal due to CORS issue.

Thanks,

Jianxia

0 Kudos
PavlinStaikov
New Contributor II

Jianxia,

Thanks for your response. It did give me an idea to look for problems with the server authentication setup and of course I found one which fixed the issue. Indeed it sounds like a good idea to update the documentation to explicitly state that IWA would not prompt for App ID. That may save some developers from going the wrong path while troubleshooting their connections.

Thanks again!

Pavlin

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

You are right. We will update the doc as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Jianxia

0 Kudos