Web App Custom Print Workflow Guidance

10-01-2018 08:09 AM
DW3
by
New Contributor

Can someone please help me with a workflow I am trying to accomplish? I am new to this and just need some general guidance and references on how to go about solving my particular problem. I can take care of the python scripting that needs to happen however if there's any JavaScript I will need additional guidance.

I want to create a web application that will allow a user to do the following:

• Select ONE geographic boundary
    • I will have cities, zip codes, and township boundaries uploaded. User can toggle the layers on/off
  • Hit print and the following will happen:
    • The grid index feature layers that intersect the user-selected geographic boundary will be selected
    • Grab the web map and insert it into an ArcGIS pro template that has Map Series enabled.
    • Export the Map Series as a PDF file.
    • Also export an excel file of the attributes of the point features that are printed in the Map Series.

How do I generally go about accomplishing this workflow? Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide. Once I know what I need to do I can get it done myself, just need some pointers. I appreciate it a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Diane,

this is how I'd have approached:

• I'd not use JS API Print digit, instead I'd implement my own print button (or menu or something like that)

The grid index feature layers that intersect the user-selected geographic boundary will be selected

• On the button_click, I'd use JS API search/select function of the feature layer to select index features

Grab the web map and insert it into an ArcGIS pro template that has Map Series enabled.

• call JS API Print Task and execute and submit a job to a print service

Export the Map Series as a PDF file.

Also export an excel file of the attributes of the point features that are printed in the Map Series.

• Print service returns only one output - i don't think (at least I'm not aware of) you can return a pdf and an excel file as outputs from a print service and consumed that from JS API Print Task.
    • here is a crazy thought, you can use gp tool to export data to excel and use some python libraries to convert that excel to PDF >> combine that pdf to map series output pdf.